• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sevenoaks Wildlife Reserve (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

I paid my second visit to this reserve today. Although I didn't see anything earth-shattering in terms of bird life, I would like to say how impressed I am with the reserve. There are several hides close to the water which give good views and are spacious enough to use scopes. There are pleasant walks through the woods. Also there seem to be plenty of nest-boxes and the habitat is well-maintained. Even more impressive, entrance to the reserve has recently become free. I think they make their money from the fishermen, who are well-separated from the bird-watchers.

Today's sightings included Scaup (several), a Heron, a few Cormorants, Great Crested Grebe (several), Teal (lots) and Common Gull (lots and lots....). As I said, nothing earth-shattering but for someone like me who needs the practice, a good chance to learn some of the finer points! The sightings board and ID cards did list some more unusual birds. Also there is a museum which has a good collection of stuffed birds.

I will be going back.

Pat

Glad you had a good day, it's a nice reserve, I used to go there quite a bit when in London.
From memory it used to be a fiver to get in, so great that it's free.

Sevenoakes

This spot is just down the road from me.

It has recently changed hands (and name) so it is a 'proper' Kent Wildlife Trust reserve now.

There were plans to build on part of the reserve, which was supported by the reserve managers, but the council didn't give planning permission.

I should go more but I don't like the hides. Too cramped for me. Tower Hide was dropping to bits last time I was there. Maybe I've been spoiled by those at RSPB reserves.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back