• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Bird Soaring Overhead at Cheltenham Today (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I saw a bird soaring overhead today in (a relatively countrified bit of) Cheltenham today. My first thoughts were of a Buzzard but it had a long straight and narrow tail.
I have many field guide-type books to look at but when it comes to pictures (and everything else!) they don't suffer from consistency.
I have to ignore coloration as birds like Buzzards nearly always look all black from below, unless very close. The pictures I can find that look close to what I think I saw are the unlikely Sparrowhawk or Goshawk, or perhaps a Kestrel. It is not clear whether Kestrels actually soar overhead with their tails straight and narrow.
What I really suspect it was is a Magpie but I can't find any pictures of Magpies flying overhead so I just wondered whethered they actually do this? If so do they do it with straight tails?
Alan

I'd suggest sparrowhawk as the most likely culprit.
I've never seen a magpie soaring and I'm sure you would have noticed the white primaries as they are quite translucent even in silhouette

I would think that the most likely would be Sparrowhawk with an outside chance of Goshawk given that there is a good population just a few miles away in the Forest of Dean.

Here is a Sparrowhawk soaring above my garden. Its tail appeared fairly long too, was this similar to what you saw?
Jenny

Attachments

• sparrowhawk.jpg
    sparrowhawk.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 89
  • hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 89
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back