• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (4 Viewers)

Very catching the Whitethroat is Mike B :) the rain drops and slashes on the duckling are great. What difference is there in painting with oils instead of acrylics, Forgive my ignorance

Very catching the Whitethroat is Mike B :) the rain drops and slashes on the duckling are great. What difference is there in painting with oils instead of acrylics, Forgive my ignorance

I find it a whole different world to be honest. Because I used to paint exclusively in watercolour, much of my acrylic work uses similar techniques. I've often tried to make a switch to oils, mainly on the advice of artist friends, and failed with my attempts because I've tried to make the oils behave the same way as acrylics and not embraced the oils for what they are.

Perhaps the main difference, (Apart from the smell!), is the length of drying time. One colour on top of another in acrylics has no effect on the base colour if you give it five minutes, because the base colour dries quickly. With oils the base colour will 'infect' any colour put on on top until it dries, and that can take a week! It means you can push colours and shapes about on the canvas (or mdf in my case), and blends are much easier to achieve, but it's something to be aware of when mixing shadow colours for example. If yo lay down a base colour then apply a subtle shadow colour, the base coat 'dilutes' your subtle shadow into half the colour you intended and can make it disappear altogether!

I like the fullness of oils, they always seem to lend solidity to a painting, and the softer edges appeal to me too (and I love the smell of linseed oil from oiling cricket bats when I was a kid). I don't know if I'll persevere this time and make a switch but, for now, I'm enjoying the experience so I'll carry on for a bit, 'til it all goes wrong and I make another muddy mess!

I'm on a kingfisher study right now and I've a large kingfisher painting drawn up ready to tackle if this study turns out ok.

Wish me luck, I'm going in...

Mike

I think I'm done with this one. It's another dabble in oils, lots to learn/make up yet but fun so far. Undecided as to whether to go for the biggy or struggle with another couple of dabbles first...

Mike

Attachments

• oily-kf-foto.jpg
    oily-kf-foto.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 83
It's never easy to answer the question: What to do next? It's never good to finish one without the next one in the head or on the easel O;-)

I love this one and the whitethroat, too O:)

Ulrike

that's a splendid series (and as an aside they look very saleable, you cunning fellow)

as for the Kingfisher you know the answer: I would be wrestling with whether to extra zing up the blues and to super-black the blacks

whereas as it is the restrained approach you have taken adds to the impression of peace rest and honesty

so it is balanced right as is: onward!

I have finally gone through your whole thread, and I enjoyed every page of it! Your field studies are excellent, and I particularly loved to study them!

The kingfisher is adorable: the colors and the branch are so beautifully painted!

uiiiiiii....:t:
. . . yep - that covers it!
Mike, you've been producing work of the highest quality for many years now. So - how can you then go and crank it up another couple of notches? Surely not just the change in media. Whatever - I sense even greater things are now within your grasp - get on with it.

I find it a whole different world to be honest. Because I used to paint exclusively in watercolour, much of my acrylic work uses similar techniques. I've often tried to make a switch to oils, mainly on the advice of artist friends, and failed with my attempts because I've tried to make the oils behave the same way as acrylics and not embraced the oils for what they are.

Perhaps the main difference, (Apart from the smell!), is the length of drying time. One colour on top of another in acrylics has no effect on the base colour if you give it five minutes, because the base colour dries quickly. With oils the base colour will 'infect' any colour put on on top until it dries, and that can take a week! It means you can push colours and shapes about on the canvas (or mdf in my case), and blends are much easier to achieve, but it's something to be aware of when mixing shadow colours for example. If yo lay down a base colour then apply a subtle shadow colour, the base coat 'dilutes' your subtle shadow into half the colour you intended and can make it disappear altogether!

I like the fullness of oils, they always seem to lend solidity to a painting, and the softer edges appeal to me too (and I love the smell of linseed oil from oiling cricket bats when I was a kid). I don't know if I'll persevere this time and make a switch but, for now, I'm enjoying the experience so I'll carry on for a bit, 'til it all goes wrong and I make another muddy mess!

I'm on a kingfisher study right now and I've a large kingfisher painting drawn up ready to tackle if this study turns out ok.

Wish me luck, I'm going in...

Mike

An interesting take on oils Mike. I had no idea you came to acrylics from watercolor. My last abstract painting was all done in oil after many years with acrylic. But then I had a large studio. Now I'm painting at home and think the fumes would just be too much to live with, much as I do like them.

That weeklong drying time is something else isn't it?! I think maybe I'm lucky that I can't paint in oils right now. I rarely have the patience let a watercolor wash dry, let alone a film of oil.

Well thanks very much all!

I have to take a diversion into a portrait or two first but then I think I'll tackle another smaller study type piece before I commit to the 'biggy'.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back