• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in ShenYang today (1 Viewer)

scottishdude

Leave the world slightly better than you found it,
Hi there everyone

I am in ShenYang right now and will be for the next 12 days except from the 24th -29th where I am heaqding for Quilin for a scenic trip. Anyone know any good sites in Shenyang I could go to as myresearch hasn't been that good. I did go down to Red-Beach which turned up a few excellent warblers for me and lots of Siberian rubythroats which I always wanted

Thank you in advance

Jamie

(scottishdude)

Quick question - is that Shenyang in the northeast of China (Liaoning province)? (And you're going to Guilin in the southwest?) Some city names look the same in roman alphabet, but may be actually different.

Jamie,

First of all welcome to Northeast China! I have been to Shenyang many times (I see it s the Shenyang in Liaoning based on you posting pics from Panjin in the ID forum. How did you do at Panjin? I would love to see your lists or report.

In Shenyang I have usually been there for other reasons but have made several quick trips to Beiling Park which is straight north still in the city a bit. It's a huge piece of land that should have some migrants in at the moment. Please let me know what you see.

You are always welcome 3-4 hours south here in Dalian for some birding over this holiday. I will be making a trip to Laotieshan and possibly Pikou next week. I don't work from Sunday-Sunday next week.

Tom

Hi Tom and Gretchen thank you for your replies ;-) Yes it is the Shenyang in the North and yes the Quilin is the South, we are flying there on Thursday!

I am afraid Tom I will be away at the weekend to Quilin with my family! or I woud love to join you, We had made plans to go to Dalian but my 'Parents in law' were tired and we had heard reports of the weather turning bad so we came back up North! (I am the only birder)

It is possible due to the hurricane that the trip might get cancelled though!

We should be going to Hunzidong resevoir probably next Tuesday for 2 days hopefully for the cranes if all goes well ;-)

My trip report for the one day birding I have done so far it

Black-headed Gull
Saunder's Gull
Black Tailed Gull
Eurasian Curlew
Eastern Curlew
Common Redshank
Whimbrel
Oriental Pratincole
Brown Shrike
Oriental Grey Shrike
Long Tailed Shrike
Black Drongo
Grey Heron
Great Egret
Intermediate Egret
Common Stonechat
Raddes Warbler
Thick Billed Warbler
Yellow Streaked Warbler
Yellow Browed warbler
Rubythroat
Eastern Marsh Harrier
Amur Falcon
Caspian Tern
Greenshank
Possible Tickell's leaf warbler
another unidentified warbler
Eurasian Swallow
White Wagtail
Olive Backed Pipit
Pine Bunting
RusticBunting
Common Rosefinch
Tree Sparrow
Eurasian Spoonbill
Little Egret
Great Crested Grebe
Little Grebe
Coot
Cormorant - too quick to properly ID
Hen Harrier
Oriental Turtle Dove

I was there mostly taking photos as that's what I prefer I am sure there was more to see but I am very happy to get what I got

If thisweather clears up I will head to Beiling Park - Cheers Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back