• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help!!!.. (1 Viewer)

I would not attempt to digiscope with an 800 gram full size sensor camera such as the D7000 for the following reasons.
I get shutter shock from focal plain shutters that shakes the camera and scope causing unsharpness. A point and shoot camera using contrast autofocus detection will focus much better than a typical SLR. My favorite Lumix FH-1 (FS-10) is quite sharp and only weighs 120 grams (as compared to 800 for the D-7000) and mounts nicely on the outer screw threads of an inexpensive Baader Hyperion 17mm eyepiece, which is known to digiscope well. Of course this astro eyepiece fits the Pentax scope. The Omni universal mount is fine to use for that, or I attach threads to the body of the camera and use extension tubes. You do not want to attach pounds of camera to an eyepiece or even a scope.
The above Lumix camera is 16X faster in ISO and/or shutter speed than a full frame sensor because of the sensor area. Of course the FS-10 is last years model and is available used on e-Bay for about $40 USD. I got one for $12. Gene

I would not attempt to digiscope with an 800 gram full size sensor camera such as the D7000 for the following reasons.
I get shutter shock from focal plain shutters that shakes the camera and scope causing unsharpness. A point and shoot camera using contrast autofocus detection will focus much better than a typical SLR. My favorite Lumix FH-1 (FS-10) is quite sharp and only weighs 120 grams (as compared to 800 for the D-7000) and mounts nicely on the outer screw threads of an inexpensive Baader Hyperion 17mm eyepiece, which is known to digiscope well. Of course this astro eyepiece fits the Pentax scope. The Omni universal mount is fine to use for that, or I attach threads to the body of the camera and use extension tubes. You do not want to attach pounds of camera to an eyepiece or even a scope.
The above Lumix camera is 16X faster in ISO and/or shutter speed than a full frame sensor because of the sensor area. Of course the FS-10 is last years model and is available used on e-Bay for about $40 USD. I got one for $12. Gene
thanks....mark.

I agree with Gene on this Mark. The D7000 is not a great digiscoping choice due to the large sensor and vibration from the shutter.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back