• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Lembeye's Gnatcatcher … in Spanish (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some small possible additions on ...

lembeyei
● the Cuban Gnatcatcher Polioptila lembeyei GUNDLACH 1858 (here). However no dedication.

Today's HBW Alive Key tells us:
lembeyei
Juan Lembey (1816-1889) Cuban ornithologist (Polioptila).
But I think its commemorating the Spanish (alt. Galician) ornithologist, entomologist and agronomist Juan Lembeye (1816–1889).

In short: Apparently born in Ferrol, Galicia, north-western Spain, in 1816, as "Juan Lembeye e Lartaud" (in a Family of French Origin, I guess Lartaud was his mothers name, who he dedicated this book to) ... Lembeye moved to Cuba in the 1830's ... Author of the very First book on Cuban Birds, Aves de la Isla de Cuba 1850 (here and here) ... returned to Spain and Galicia in the early 1860's, Mayor of the town Culleredo (1869–1871), where he also died in December 1889.

Disclaimer: This said without any knowledge of Spanish! Helped only by Google Translate.

Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Björn

PS. He is also "Cuban" in the Eponym Dictionary of Birds 2014, by Beolens et al (here), but they´ve been wrong before! ;)

PPS. Does anyone know who made the Plates in Aves de la Isla de Cuba?
---

Last edited:
Did not check all different plates but it could be Francisco Luis Marquier (or Litografía de Luis Marquier) came to Havana in 1846.
The lithographies are certainly from Litografía de Luis Marquier, Calle de Lamparilla n° 96; but this is not the name of the artist who made the original paintings/drawings.

On archive.org, we are said: "Some engravings signed: Laur. Ferroy (?)".
Not all the plates are signed, and the signature doesn't always take the same form. Eg., Lam. n°4 has a very readable "LAUR°. FERZ." in capitals on the lowest small branch pointing to the left. On Lam. n°6, the signature is at the base of the branch supporting the Worm-eating Warbler -- it is in cursive and looks more like "Lauro Fernz". I would be inclined to interpret "Ferz."/"Fernz." as shortened versions of "Fernández", but I have no clue about the person in question.

Apparently many of the illustrations were borrowed/adapted from Audubon's Birds of North America. Some comments on this subject by Wiley 1996 [here] (p.32).

lembeyei
Juan Lembey (1816-1889) Spanish agronomist, entomologist, ornithologist, sometime resident in Cuba ...

From today's updated HBW Alive Key ...

Why still Lembey, and not Lembeye?

James, or anyone else ... what have I missed?

In short: Apparently born in Ferrol, Galicia, north-western Spain, in 1816, as "Juan Lembeye e Lartaud" (in a Family of French Origin, I guess Lartaud was his mothers name, who he dedicated this book to) ... Lembeye moved to Cuba in the 1830's ... Author of the very First book on Cuban Birds, Aves de la Isla de Cuba 1850 (here and here) ... returned to Spain and Galicia in the early 1860's, Mayor of the town Culleredo (1869–1871), where he also died in December 1889.

Just to give his exact birth date from here:

El homenaje llega en el año en que se cumplen dos siglos de su nacimiento, el 21 de octubre de 1816 en Ferrol.

Nothing more on exact death date apart from December 1889.

Nothing more on exact death date apart from December 1889.

For the sake of completeness I got the following answer from the village of Culleredo:

Juan Lembeye Lartaud falleció el 1 de diciembrede 1889 en Culleredo.

So death 1. December 1889. Nothing more to add from my side.

Muscicapa lembeyei

Maybe the key should be enhanced by Muscicapa lembeyei here a synonym of Sayornis phoebe here.

And maybe his name as well as Juan José Joaquín Lembeye Lartaud. See here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back