• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal M2 65 and Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark IV (1 Viewer)

Borjam

Spain
Hi :)

I have been using the Celestron with the Celestron zoom for several years now and I am really happy with the bang for the buck. But the Celestron zoom loses too much contrast and a bit of detail when pushing it beyond roughly 40x (the 64 mm scope with the zoom goes from 16x to 48x).

I ordered a Hyperion Zoom Mark IV after reading on this forum that it can focus properly (and indeed their user manual specifically shows a Celestron Regal M2) and it has arrived today.

I have arrived home a bit late, so no time to test outdoors, but looking at the polyps of the corals in my aquarium and the copepods on the glass the difference is quite noticeable. The Hyperion shows remarkably better contrast at maximum power (8 mm in telescope parlance, which is 48x) in my opinion. The test wasn't an easy one. Looking at the polyps of a Sinularia coral I could see the tentacles very clearly, despite being the same color as the rest of the colony. Much better than with the Celestron zoom.

I'll check outdoors as soon as possible, probably on Friday. But so far seems to be a worthy update.

As a plus, it seems that in case I got a Hummingbird tiny scope the eyepiece would work with it as well.

The zoom comes bundled with several mounting adapters. One of them critical to use with spotting scopes, is clearly labelled as "nosepiece adapter for spotting scope adaptation" and the other one as "nosepiece adapter for Telescope adaptation".

The provided colapsible eyecup is really comfortable to use and I haven't noticed any odd issues.

I forgot: The eyepiece is not much larger than the Celestron zoom but it won't fit inside the aluminum tube provided for eyepiece protection.

I'm really impressed. Not my first Baader eyepiece, I got two fixed ones a couple of years ago and now a friend of mine is using them for astronomy.

Last edited:
Hello,
It can focus properlay with the Regal 65 ?
Thanks
Wachi.

Yes. It includes two different adaptors. One for astronomical scopes, the other one for spotting ones.

There is a slight problem, though, it’s not perfectly parfocal, which means you need to correct focus when zooming in and out.

Other than that it works very well.

Hi Borjam, would be interesting to hear how you found the eyepiece to work in outdoor use. I have the Regal M2 80 and like you find that it gets soft above 45-50 zoom. Therefore I'm considering this Baader zoom eyepiece instead.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there birdlovers!

Just want to say that I now have replaced the original zoom eyepiece for my Celestron Regal with the Baader Hyperion Mark IV zoom eyepiece. And what at replacement it was! Now the image is razor sharp all the way to maximum zoom power. Eye relief and field of view is at least as good as with the Celestron zoom eyepiece. No problem reaching infinity focus either but you must be careful when mounting the eyepiece so that it comes in all the way before the locking ring tightens completely. A firm but gentle push down whilst turning the locking ring will do the trick.

So far only positives from this change. Will update if I find any negatives.

Hasse

Good to read this, I'm thinking of updating to the Mark IV as well, as I too find the Celestrons own zoom softening from about 35x. I guess this still gives the same 16-48x mags? Might get my head off of buying a larger more expensive scope :)

I've had the MkIII mounted on my kowa 823 for years,but now i have a Mk IV on loan (I Will probably buy It) and It is a superb zoom,in my opinión.Lucky for us Kowa 82 owners,this versión fits the Kowa threads with the standard collar.The contrast and sharpness is truly exceptional,even when compared to the extraordinary Kowa TS21WA and some Nikon eyepieces i adapted for the Kowa.
I had a Celestron Regal 65 a few years back,really nice scope.The Celestron Regal Zoom is not bad, and not too narrow either,f i remember correctly. I felt that its FOV was a bit wider than most zooms ,but still far from the Baader .The Hyperion zoom offers real wide views in all the short focals past 16mm,and quite wide even in the 20 mm point..Unfortunately the celestron Regal zoom I had broke in the Field,but i bought It used,so i cant determine if It was abused or not.
Now..the Baader Zoom is only as Sharp as your scope .You will get great image quality even at high power,... if your scope is good ,but if your scope is less than perfect ,is normal to get soft image at high magnification..If you buy the Baader and the image still gets soft past 40x,then you might consider another scope .A good copy of the Celestron Regal 65 should hold 48x and still be sharp ( mine sure was) and the Hyperion Would help

Last edited:
Hello,

Mayo, then you say that the Baader Planetarium Mark III or IV version zoom adapts naturally to the Kowa 823 and 82 spotting scopes models? Wouldn't they need a special adapter?
Thanks for your information.
Pluto

Only the Mk IV..I modified the Mark III ,but now the threads on the standard collar of the Mk. IV fit the Kowa 82 external threads beautifully.It is also a lighter eyepiece,helping the balance on a tripod.
If You own the 823 or other 82 ,You are really lucky ,because It is a superb upgrade

Hi there birdlovers!

Just want to say that I now have replaced the original zoom eyepiece for my Celestron Regal with the Baader Hyperion Mark IV zoom eyepiece. And what at replacement it was! Now the image is razor sharp all the way to maximum zoom power. Eye relief and field of view is at least as good as with the Celestron zoom eyepiece. No problem reaching infinity focus either but you must be careful when mounting the eyepiece so that it comes in all the way before the locking ring tightens completely. A firm but gentle push down whilst turning the locking ring will do the trick.

So far only positives from this change. Will update if I find any negatives.

Hasse
While searching for the Baader Hyperion Mark IV, I came across this thread. How have you found this eye-piece to have performed over the years? I have the same scope as you, the Regal M2 80.

I have the Bader Mark iii zoom that I use with my celestron C5. I went with it because it was reported to be one of the better astro zooms and it does perform well. I find it provides only a slightly step back compared to a fixed eyepiece. It's sure nice having zoom capabilities from 52-124x. I've been curious as to what it could do on a spotter.

Last edited:
How is the Celestron Regals models for astronomical casual observations?
Thanks.
PG
I have the 65 and i get the rings of saturn in it . Im not a astronomy guy but i get good veiws of Jupiter and 5 or 6 of the moons and some of the big red spot and stripes . Saturn is yellow and the rings are clearly visible . These are all visible with the factory supplied eyepiece and the veiws get better with the baader zoom .

Any experience with or opinions about using the SVBONY SV191 7.2-21.6mm zoom in place of the original zoom eyepiece used on the Celestron Regal 65 ED? Does SV191 7.2-21.6mm have better optics than stock Celestron zoom?
Baader Mark IV still the best choice even at 2.5 x the cost of SV191?
Appreciate your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back