• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Go slow and stop (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I think there was a recent W10 update? Since then... well Saturday.... my laptop has begun to go into frequent 'thinks'.... about every 30 seconds or so. This was the worst day really.

Sunday, actually, it was working perfectly, with no problems at all. But Monday and today it's doing it again.

It's really getting quite frustrating.

When I looked at the CPU in the Task Manager, instead of the bar being near the bottom, it's right up the top most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Hmmm.... not for the first time over this period it suddenly switched to my Facebook tab which had a pop up saying "Unresponsive script" with the offer to "Debug"

I accepted that and got the gobbledegook in the attached document. If anyone can understand it.

Well the line that was highlighted anyway!

Attachments

• De-bug Script.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 50
Have you tried to turn off the facebook tab and see what happens? It might actually be facebook that is trying to do something in the background which takes up the resources of your computer rather than a problem in windows itself. I don't have facebook so have nothing to compare to.

One way to do this could be to have a browser you only use for facebook and only start that browser when you need facebook and keep it turned off in between.

Niels

Thanks Niels.

Funnily, since I did that "debug", the go slow issue has resolved. I'll see if it comes back tomorrow and if it does, I'll do what you suggest and just have the tab when I want to look at it. Thanks.

Just an update on this. Rather interesting.

After the de-bug, I had no more issues for a couple of days. Then the go slow started again, not quite so severely as it had been last week, but may have got there.

So I deleted the Face Book tab (this is in PaleMoon). I still had one in Firefox, which is also running alongside... (don't ask a bit complicated LOL.) This didn't seem to cause any issues.

After another couple of days, thought I'd try FB on PaleMoon again and for all was well for a bit until this morning, when again my laptop started to slow down. Closed the tab and all well.

Obviously PaleMoon and Firefox handle Facebook differently.

Or having face book open at the same time in two browsers is not a good idea. Either way, glad you seem to have a handle on improving the situation

Niels

Though I've found that Firefox doesn't actually open the tab until you click on it. And I don't look at that one too often.

FaceBook has been 'improving' (messing around with) their code, D. Latest Pale Moon topic about it here, there were several others over the last week.

All the Facebook issues seem to be resolving, as changes are slowly rolled out by the FB team to address broken functionality since their changes earlier in the week.
Please be patient as some changes may still need to reach your edge of the FB server cloud at this point.

To keep things cleaner I'll also be merging the many FB threads that were opened. Please people, next time if there's a pressing issue with a certain web service, try to find already existing threads for the same issue before opening new topics? It really doesn't make things get more attention spawning new threads (quite the opposite), and it's better to keep all discussion in one place.

Ah!! Thanks very much Andy.

I'm glad to know it wasn't just me. What a pain these people are, aren't they.

Hope you're good laddie.

.... LOL who couldn't feel good in this lovely weather.

it's probably an exercise in boosting their income.

Yeah.... guess it will be. They could just end up pissing people off though, couldn't they. They did me a long time ago, so I hardly ever go in there nowadays, apart from two pages once or maybe twice a week.

One of the main reasons I had the two tabs in the two browsers, is because I found negotiating the site so frustrating!

Having shut down Farcebook for a week, I opened it again last week and all was well until yesterday, when I noticed a lag when typing.

Just shut FB down again and that problem seems to have gone. Frustrating.

Anyone know anything about Google Drive?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back