• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (8 Viewers)

I heard that two Fire Units were called out to put a fire out,near Balnagask Golf Course this lunchtime.Hopefully the damage Is not too bad but there seems to be a trend at the moment,for Youths (allegedly) starting fires at night In the Torry and Kincorth Gramps,so I'm not sure If the one today Is connected.

The rather inauspicious conditions this weekend produced very little of note around the Ness. One of the quietest September weekends I can recall in fact. Yesterday provided a Wheatear and a Knot. The Purple Sandpiper Totaliser did at least stride purposefully onward:

Not much better today, with a Manx Shearwater and Common Scoter offshore and seven Dunlin roosting on the breakwater. We're going to get easterlies all October and it's going to be great though.

Attachments

• Curlew_Girdle Ness_230918a.jpg
    Curlew_Girdle Ness_230918a.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 24
Still fairly underwhelming weather here, though there were a few bits and pieces about today. A wander around the Nigg Bay area in the morning turned up eight Teal, a calling Water Rail, two Siskin, a calling Bullfinch, three Chiffchaffs (including one singing quite vigorously) and a small flock of Long-tailed Tits.

An afternoon stroll around the Ness was good for raptors with four species seen. These included an adult Peregrine cruising across the golf course and a Merlin dashing about Greyhope Bay and terrorising the Goldfinches. An Arctic Skua was offshore. Waders included a Dunlin and some solid progress on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

It's on. A surprise was a drake Common Scoter in the harbour just off Inverdee House. I don't think I've ever seen one in the harbour. I guess it's not too well, although it was diving regularly.

Attachments

• Common Scoter_Girdle Ness_290918a.jpg
    Common Scoter_Girdle Ness_290918a.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 29
Very quiet once again today but a Black Guillemot showed quite well in Greyhope Bay. It looked like an adult, so presumably a different bird to the one I saw a few weeks ago. Also two White Wagtails along the north bank.

I inspected the fire damage on the south side of the golf course. A fairly big area was burnt (see attached). I see the young scallywag responsible has had his collar felt by the Old Bill, although these areas might well be worth checking for migrants when we eventually get some easterlies. Just a few Robins hopping about today though.

Attachments

• Fire_Girdle Ness_300918a.jpg
    Fire_Girdle Ness_300918a.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Fire_Girdle Ness_300918b.jpg
    Fire_Girdle Ness_300918b.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 38
Hello Andrew
I may have a few spare minutes around the city around 9-11 Oct; where would be the best spot to try for any migrants ; around the lighthouse maybe?

Will be a work trip with colleage so will need to be very easy from the car!

Thanks
Matthew

Hello Andrew
I may have a few spare minutes around the city around 9-11 Oct; where would be the best spot to try for any migrants ; around the lighthouse maybe?

Will be a work trip with colleage so will need to be very easy from the car!

Thanks
Matthew

Hi Matt - I've heard Fair Isle is good at this time of year ;). If that proves a bit tricky, there might be a bit of potential in the Greater Torry area at least if there's a hint of east in the wind.

Perhaps the best area is around Nigg Bay (the waterworks area just south of Girdle Ness). The problem with that area is that the vegetation is quite dense and extensive so things might be tough to find. I'd be tempted to check the burnt areas of gorse on the south side of the Ness (see pictures above). Otherwise probably the allotments, battery and north bank.

Other areas in Aberdeen could be reasonable e.g. King's Links or Donmouth. There might be a few Yellow-browed Warblers around by next week anyway.

A clear, crisp and not particularly eventful day here in Torry today. A morning wander around the Ness elicited a Knot, a Red-breasted Merganser, 22 Wigeon and a Bonxie. There was more action on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Relentless. Large numbers of Pink-footed Geese were going north too, with around 700 counted.

A late afternoon stroll in the Nigg Bay marsh added three Teal and three Moorhen. The easterlies can't get here soon enough.

Well, I was wearing my best wellies this afternoon for a trudge around the district. There was a migrant in the shape of a Redwing around the Battery. Two Knot were on the breakwater and a Red-breasted Merganser was again in Greyhope Bay. Offshore there were four Arctic Skuas keeping busy, as well as a close Bonxie and a Manx Shearwater. Three more Red-breasted Mergansers flew south.

Here's a classic Bonxie shot for fans of record shots.

Attachments

• Great Skua_Girdle Ness_071018a.jpg
    Great Skua_Girdle Ness_071018a.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 36
Today was the first day I was able to get out locally after the easterlies hit. Activities were somewhat curtailed by fairly heavy rain through much of the day but I managed a few hours round the Ness until 11am when the rain became more resolute.

As expected there were some of your actual migrants around - not vast numbers but a good selection. Perhaps the best was the first that I saw: a Pied Flycatcher in the sycamores along Abbey Road. Yellow-browed Warblers soon put in an appearance with a couple in the trees below the allotments. That was the best area generally with two Garden Warblers, four Blackcaps, a Willow Warbler and an interesting 'eastern style' Lesser Whitethroat. Other migrants included an additional Lesser Whitethroat near Baxter Place, a Chiffchaff at the Battery, two Stonechats, a Wheatear, a Swallow, a Knot and a Snipe. At least 20 Brambling were around, with most in sycamores along Victoria Road by the bowling green. There were several Song Thrushes and Redwings, as well as lots of Blackbirds. Two Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the breakwater were quite late.

Attachments

• Brambling_Girdle Ness_131018a.jpg
    Brambling_Girdle Ness_131018a.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Yellow-browed Warbler_Girdle Ness_131018a.jpg
    Yellow-browed Warbler_Girdle Ness_131018a.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 33
I was out more-or-less all day today, initially in quite dull, cloudy conditions but then in glorious, pristine sun from mid-afternoon when the breeze barely troubled the offshore turbines into rotation.

The morning was spent giving the Nigg Bay area a fairly thorough seeing to. There were plenty of thrushes about but other migrants took a bit more searching for. Three Yellow-browed Warblers were seen or heard, some giving decent views. A Ring Ouzel was seen fairly briefly at the western end of the bushes near the school fields. Three Chiffchaffs gave a confusing array of calls but all looked like colybita. A wide range of finches included eight Redpolls overhead and at least ten Bullfinches. A Brambling was heard - my only one of the day. Other stuff about included two Teal, a couple of Water Rails calling, ten Long-tailed Tits, seven Blackcaps, three Goldcrests, a male Pheasant and five Snipe. 130 Pink-footed Geese passed over and a surprise were three Roe Deer - the first I've seen here for years.

I circumnavigated the Ness in the afternoon. A Yellow-browed Warbler showed nicely on Abbey Road by the school, along with three Chiffchaffs. Nearby a Pied Flycatcher was in exactly the same tree as yesterday. The north bank again held a Yellow-browed Warbler, the 'eastern' Lesser Whitethroat and a Blackcap. Three Wheatears were on the golf course. Otherwise there wasn't too much except for two Knot and seven Ringed Plovers.

Attachments

• Roe Deer_Girdle Ness_141018a.jpg
    Roe Deer_Girdle Ness_141018a.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_141018a.jpg
    Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_141018a.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Pied Flycatcher_Girdle Ness_141018a.jpg
    Pied Flycatcher_Girdle Ness_141018a.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Wheatear_Girdle Ness_141018a.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_141018a.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Wheatear_Girdle Ness_141018b.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_141018b.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 23
Great to see deer about. I've see little sign of them or damage on trees on Tullos hill since they were culled to improve the environment. The Tullos hill trees look like they could easily survive now.

Just watched absolutely hundreds of Fieldfares and Redwings coming in off the North Sea - an almost constant stream over the city. Pity I can't watch them all morning. Also two Goldeneye in the harbour.

Still good numbers of Fieldfare and Redwings coming ln over Torry between 1700 and 1730,however not ln the numbers witnessed by Andrew.

It was a blustery morning in Torry and I focused on the Nigg Bay area. There was still a scattering of thrushes about but not many other migrants were in evidence. The best birds were two Jack Snipe flushed in the marsh - my first of the autumn. Also about were five Common Snipe, eight Teal and two calling Water Rails. A Siskin and Bullfinch were near the railway line.

There's a case to be made that I should instead have gone round the Ness because Mark Sullivan found an apparent Spotted Sandpiper on the north shore below the allotments in the afternoon. I wasn't able to get out till almost the end of the day but couldn't find it. It seems as though it wasn't seen after the initial sighting, perhaps relocating nearby during the low tide. I think there's probably a fair chance it might reappear tomorrow. We'll see.

Attachments

• Curlew_Girdle Ness_201018a.jpg
    Curlew_Girdle Ness_201018a.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 35
Sadly there was no sign of the Spotted Sandpiper today, despite quite a bit of searching. Not too much else was about either. A male Pheasant was on the north bank in the morning and a late Whimbrel was on the rocks below the Coo in the afternoon.

The most interesting bird I 'saw' today was 'late' but in a different way. Other birders had, rather remarkably, seen a Storm Petrel flying out of the harbour and over the golf course. Somewhat inevitably it got nobbled soon after - maybe by a crow or gull - and I was shown the remains. Quite a strange record.

Attachments

• Goosander_Girdle Ness_211018a.jpg
    Goosander_Girdle Ness_211018a.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_211018a.jpg
    Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_211018a.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 38
Bit of an interesting morning here in Torry, with the main interest out to sea. I headed down to the Coo straight away, although Mark was already there and had seen quite a few good birds. The main theme was duck passage. My totals after a couple of hours were 104 Wigeon, 125 Mallard (a remarkably high count), 28 Teal, 42 Long-tailed Duck, 8 Common Scoter, 21 Goldeneye and a Red-breasted Merganser. Divers were also passing through with five Great Northern Divers and 13 Red-throated Divers. Seabirds were a bit less apparent however, at least until late morning when I picked out a Little Auk heading north at roughly middle distance. A Black Guillemot also went north close to the shore.

Just after midday I picked out a very large diver heading north at relatively close range, though not in the best light. As it headed into better light I noticed it was in more or less full summer plumage and that it had what appeared to be a large, pale, yellowish bill! I couldn't get a clear sense of the shape of the bill, what with the wind now buffeting me and my scope about quite a bit. It seems I wasn't the only to see this bird, as others in the car park at Greyhope Bay were able to get slightly clearer views of the bill and confirm that it was a White-billed Diver.

On my way back to Torry a Snow Bunting headed north over the rooftops in Victoria Road. It looks quite good for the next few days, so stay tuned.

Google Earth reckons it is a straight-line distance of 62 miles between Fife Ness and Girdle Ness. Found an unsourced flight speed of 75mph for Great Northern Diver via Google (no idea of accuracy) so the 45mph or so that the WBD would need to do (very rough mental arithemetic) should certainly be feasible.

Pics attached of what may have been the same bird (too busy taking more pics to look at them and realise what I'd just seen go past, hence the late report).

Attachments

• D5X_2599_00001.jpg
    D5X_2599_00001.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 45
  • D5X_2604_00001.jpg
    D5X_2604_00001.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 44
  • D5X_2605_00001.jpg
    D5X_2605_00001.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back