• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown birds from Colombia (1 Viewer)

BikeandBird

Hi everyone,

I have some birds which I find difficult to identify.

Nr 1 and 2 are from eastern Vichada, Colombia (16.09.2016)

1: tyrant-flycatcher obviously, maybe Lesser Elaenia?
2a+b: (really bad quality, I'm sorry) I have no idea, maybe a greenlet or a warbler?

Nr 3 and 4 are from the Santuario de Fauna y Flora los Flamencos, Colombia (23.09.2016)

3: Id unknown from the bird on the right side. Looked a bit like a Grackle but it is pretty reddish. Terrible quality, I know. (in the Background a Grey Kingbird?)

4: Short-billed Dowitcher?

Thanks in advance
Leo

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 55
On. #4 First I need to say..yikes! I would be more inclined to think Short-billed rather than long billed based on body shape (less rounded, although this is more obvious when feeding, do you have a feeding position picture?), apparent lighter tail feathers, and light grey flanks. Which part of Colombia where you? interior or coastal? These birds cause me anxiety :)

This is the only other photo i have, of what think it shows Short-billed Dowitcher, too. According to the 'Field Guide to the birds of Colombia' Long-billed D. is extremly rare in Colombia.
Photos were taken in SFF Los Flamencos on the Caribbean coast.

Attachments

• 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 26
Not a great pictures either, but I would think that if this was a long-billed the coverts shown on the picture (the 2nd image provided for the dowitcher sp.) would show dark centers. The dark centers are much lighter and harder to see in the short-billed...so that would indicate also short-billed. I seem to see that the new wing coverts are white-fringed...I read this is more typical with the herdersoni subspecies...not sure if those it the typical subspecies in Colombia. She shape stills seems to indicate short-billed to me. Anyhow, see what other people think. I have been proven wrong with this birds before. Thank you for the challenge!

Long-billed is avagrant to Ecuador with only two records, I guess the case is similar in Colombia, so Short-billed.

For the other ones I'd suggest (without book to hand) Lesser Elaenia, definitely a Warbler maybe Connecticut (probably not) otherwise Flavescent Warbler, Eastern Kingbird and juvenile Grackles.
So basically I agree with your ideas

Maffong

#4 the steep forehead and gizz says short-billed as well. No familiarity with the warbler possibilities in Columbia, but I think the warbler appears too long-tailed for a Connecticut in the first photo. That is a large bill it has.

I checked again the field Guide. There is only one resident species of warblers in this area of Colombia, the Masked Yellowthroat. Probably the bird on the photograph is a female of this species. Especially the quite heavy bill would fit well.
The range of flavescent warbler in colombia and Venezuela seems to be more than 500 km away from the place where I took the photographs.

Any views on my identification?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back