• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer above 2000 feet (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Temperatures these days make me want to hop in the car just after breakfast and go a few thousand feet up on the Parkway. Yard birding is still pretty good though, making me reluctant to leave. A Wood Thrush chose an easily visibly location about 22 feet up in a white oak to build a nest, possibly the second? We have a pair of Ovenbirds very close to our house but finding their nest has not happened yet. Still, they call frequently and it's great knowing they are there. A Red-eyed Vireo has been hanging around lately and a Scarlet Tanager has been here since the spring, making us believe it is nesting somewhere close. Our Eastern Phoebes are on their second brood under our carport on the ledge we put up for them.

Not far away in mountains, a pair of Ceruleans is doing a great job of building the local population. Last week, they were still singing and visible at 3 in the afternoon.

On the trail to Little Butt Knob, Liz and I found an unoccupied Brown Creeper nest trailside, at head level. No evidence of it being used; it is a popular trail and may have been too busy, especially on the weekends. We saw a good many wonderful, mountain birds on this 6 mile round trip through deciduous and spruce forest. Blackburnian Warblers were actually common but, as a canopy species, difficult to see. We found two pairs of Canada Warblers, none of which were very happy to see us, chattering and chipping, fortunately not always not well concealed.
We had only one quick look at a Red Crossbill but they are being seen regularly and frequently this year. I plan on going back up soon to get some pictures and chill out!

Steve

Attachments

• Wood Thrush.jpg
    Wood Thrush.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 95
  • female Cerulean and four nestlings.jpg
    female Cerulean and four nestlings.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Brown Creeper nest.jpg
    Brown Creeper nest.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Blackburnian Warbler.jpg
    Blackburnian Warbler.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Canada Warbler.jpg
    Canada Warbler.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back