• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Is Your Criteria For A Perfect Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
What Is Your Criteria For A Perfect Spotting Scope ?

Hi Everyone ..... I first look to see if there are any fixed eyepieces available besides the zoom eyepiece. If there are no other eyepieces(fixed) then its not for me. My one criteria, the scope must be able to use fixed power eyepieces. The eyepieces must have large ocular lens, providing enough eye relief to support a easy pleasant view. This brings me to my choice : The Nikon EDG 65 angled spotting scope with its numerous fixed power eyepieces. The Nikon EDG FEP-25W eyepiece shown on my scope is what I use the most now. The other two : the one on the left is the 30W, which has the next largest eye lens in the Nikon EDG line. I use the 30W when I have the need for a little more detail. The Zoom 20-60 EDG eyepiece is the one on the right. I have shown the EDG zoom just for the comparison to get an idea of how large the other two eye lens are. If anyone’s wondering that’s a 22mm wide USA Money Quarter sitting on top of the two eyepieces.

Attachments

• 9824A2F8-2BA1-47B6-B727-783F94A2854D.jpg
    9824A2F8-2BA1-47B6-B727-783F94A2854D.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 21E7D80F-7C96-435F-9858-DD03B403D70F.jpg
    21E7D80F-7C96-435F-9858-DD03B403D70F.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Wow, Gwen. The 25x ocular is huge. I will have to try that. That must be very comfortable for the eye.

Do you think that’s about the same size as a Pentax XW14? That’s what I used on my PF-65 and I remember it as the most easy going e/p I’ve used.

Martin .... I have used the Pentax XW14 eyepiece, very easy to use. The Nikon EDG 25W lens is larger than the XW14 and the XW20 eyepieces. The Nikon 25W viewing experience is more similar to the Pentax XW20. The Pentax XW20 was my favorite low to medium power eyepiece to use before I tried the Nikon EDG 25W eyepiece. If both eyepieces could be used on any one scope, the Nikon EDG 25W would be my first choice now.

My criteria: the one I actually want to bring out of the house. If it is too heavy for that, why use the money?

Niels

Damian Peach takes his world class planetary astro photos from Barbados.

I don't know how he takes his 14 inch SCT there.
Maybe he has a second one that he leaves in Barbados.

Regards,
B.

My idea of a perfect spottingscope includes:
*compact size
*waterproof
*1,25 inch hole for astronomical eyepieces
*ED-glass
*rubbered surface

And I have found the spottingscope which is the closest I know to meet these criterias: Pentax PF-65ED AII. And I got the straight version PF-65ED II as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back