• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Northern Illinois (1 Viewer)

MarkJW

Hello.

I first got into birding as a distinct activity about 15 years ago, when my son was 6 years old. It was a way for us to get out and spend time, outside together
. It started out simply enough, pointing out the red-winged blackbirds in the spring with their district calls. Working up to other birds, until he was picking out new species that I had never bothered to identify before.

As time went on, our pursuit of this waned a bit, especially as he discovered sports and other interests. But he always maintained a connection yo the natural world and animals in general.

Fast forward to the past three years. He's studying biology in college with an eye towards working with and studying wildlife. He did one summer as an intern researching turtles. Last summer, he got to go on his dream trip, he went to Greenland catching and banding birds. Perigrines, gyrfalcons, parasitic Jaegers, mures, passerines, and of course, puffins.

He has decided he wants to specialize in ornithology.

So, this winter, we are making plans to join in some Christmas Bird Counts....

Because, why not?

I just need to get a couple new pair of binos and figure out how to wrap an arthritic knee.... 😜.

One of Jake's birds from this summer in Greenland

Attachments

• 8DB881CD-46F9-4C12-836F-8068BE1C50BD.jpeg
    8DB881CD-46F9-4C12-836F-8068BE1C50BD.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 7
Hi Mark and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. What an exciting journey your son has started out on.

Sorry about the knee - arthritis is the pits when birding isn't it.

Hi there Mark and a warm welcome to you :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Another couple photos from Jake's Greenland adventure.

Attachments

• F66C2063-2BAB-4F0F-8E74-1B9EA7D8CD4D.jpeg
    F66C2063-2BAB-4F0F-8E74-1B9EA7D8CD4D.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1B93DF6A-DEF5-4B53-96A2-48B21BAFA9CC.jpeg
    1B93DF6A-DEF5-4B53-96A2-48B21BAFA9CC.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Nice photos. I think the experts in the binocular forum will be able to help you and offer good ideas.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits. What an exciting career your son has chosen and what a wonderful experience he has had.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back