• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review, Leupold Mojave BX-3 8x32 (1 Viewer)

At this point I am leaning towards the Nikon for ergonomics. Love picking them up, their feel against my face and the feel of the focusing knob. In terms of optical quality I prefer the Mojaves. They just show more detail. Better apparent sharpness likely the result of the better contrast. I like the image in the Nikon but I love the Mojave's.

Just wish I had a Nikon unit with better contrast. I emailed and PMed Mike Friedberg but have not heard back. I guess the next step is to contact B and H to see if they would be willing to exchange for a higher serial number model.

Frank,

That pre production baby M7 I tried I really liked a lot. It reminded me of the EII. Not it's equal, but small, waterproof and pocketable which count as a big plus for me. However I tried it was in the shade of a marquee so I'm apprehensive about commenting on glare and it's something I definitely need to check again, but the sharpness, contrast, sweet spot and ergonomics were first class for me. I wear glasses and even the 15mm ER was great.

From the various comments so far the glare issue doesn't sound like it's an inherent design problem but sporadic fitting of substandard components. I sincerely hope you (and I) find better examples.

David

Steve and others thank you for the reviews for the Mojave 8x32.

Mine arrived yesterday and I have used them several hours.

My eyes see a very sharp and clear image. Very good color rendition. No glare or flare at all. Very large sweet spot. This is in the Florida sun from mid day until sunset.

Focus is like others mentioned, a little stickion in a couple of spots. This is much better after using it a good bit.

Steve mentioned the diopter was a "click stop affair". Mine has no clicks. I called Leupold tech and they said they had no clicks. I do not see much change when I move the diopter , a small change but not much.

The rain guard does suck. I ordered a Vortex guard with mine. Works perfect.

Me too, but...

I just got a pair this last week too, and found them to be all others said, but the slightly heavier weight compared to the Sightrons has made me decide to sell the Mojaves and keep the Sightrons instead. It's not much of a weight savings, only 2.2 oz difference, but my old cranky hands sometimes need and appreciate less work, and so it is. Both are nice bins.

I've listed them in the Classifieds, if anyone wants a good deal on a pair. Prefer in the USA shipping though.

Edit: Might not have given them a fair chance yet-today I found the Mojaves a bit better in low light than the Sightrons, so I might change my mind about selling them.

Last edited:
Cabelas 8x32

For those that are looking at the Mojave or Opticron 8x32 you may want togive this new Cabelas binocular a look. My experience with the previous "XT II" series is that is is the same or at least close enough to the Leupold Mojave for me to not notice a difference. Both made in Japan, same focus/diopter mechanism, and same view to my eyes. The XT series is now called Guide Series and they have added an 8x32 and 10x32 that look similar to the Mojave. Only its $249.99

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-GUIDE-SERIES-BINOCULARS/1821456.uts

Again, based in my experience with their XT series, I would give it a look if you are interested in the Mojave.

For those that are looking at the Mojave or Opticron 8x32 you may want togive this new Cabelas binocular a look. My experience with the previous "XT II" series is that is is the same or at least close enough to the Leupold Mojave for me to not notice a difference. Both made in Japan, same focus/diopter mechanism, and same view to my eyes. The XT series is now called Guide Series and they have added an 8x32 and 10x32 that look similar to the Mojave. Only its $249.99

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-GUIDE-SERIES-BINOCULARS/1821456.uts

Again, based in my experience with their XT series, I would give it a look if you are interested in the Mojave.

17 ounces is rather light for a binocular with a "solid-aluminum internal housing" which they claim it has in their current Deer Hunter catalog.

Bob

Cabelas Guide Series 8x32

They are made in Japan. Our local store did not have an 8x32 on hand but they had the 10x32. They were closing when I stopped in last night otherwise I would have had a comparison to the Mojave for you guys. I will eventually be able to give them a try and report my findings.

Are Cabelas made in Japan i wonder ?

The photo below is of an American binocular and a European binocular. They are the same size, have the same size oculars, the same size focus mechanisms, the exact same eyecups for a very good reason. Both the American bino and the European bino were made by the same company . . . in Japan.

The European bino came in a box that boldly stated, "made in XXXXXXXXXXX."
And it was, the BOX I mean.

Sometimes, after I say all this, I'm immediately asked, "What about _____?" Well, it's a free country and people can believe as they choose--and most often do. I don't have a horse in the race; I'm just sharing what I know to be true.

The PDF from my eternally ethereal book will explain more.

Bill

Attachments

• American Binoculars.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMGP0923 copy.JPG
    IMGP0923 copy.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 258
The photo below is of an American binocular and a European binocular. They are the same size, have the same size oculars, the same size focus mechanisms, the exact same eyecups for a very good reason. Both the American bino and the European bino were made by the same company . . . in Japan.

The European bino came in a box that boldly stated, "made in XXXXXXXXXXX."
And it was, the BOX I mean.

Sometimes, after I say all this, I'm immediately asked, "What about _____?" Well, it's a free country and people can believe as they choose--and most often do. I don't have a horse in the race; I'm just sharing what I know to be true.

The PDF from my eternally ethereal book will explain more.

Bill

Bill,

I have 2 models of that "European" binocular you show. One from around 2004 and a recent new version. (The exterior of both is unchanged but you can see the changes made in the optics from the colors of the coatings and the larger diameter of the exposed oculars and longer eye cups.)

I don't think that even the boxes were made in Europe.

The part where it says "Made in xxxxxx" has been glued onto both boxes even though the name of the country is printed on each box in big letters. The binoculars also have the name of the European country on the focus wheel but they do not indicate where they were made.

BTW, they are real good binoculars, especially the recent model!:t:

Bob

Last edited:
Bill,

I have 2 models of that "European" binocular you show. One from around 2004 and a recent new version. (The exterior of both is unchanged but you can see the changes made in the optics from the colors of the coatings and the larger diameter of the exposed oculars and longer eye cups.)

The part where it says "Made in xxxxxx" has been glued onto both boxes even though the name of the country is printed on each box in big letters. The binoculars also have the name of the European country on the focus wheel but they do not indicate where they were made.

Bob

I have the Kahles 8x32, old version reminds me of Pentax sp?

Bryce...

Bill,

Bob

They are definitely good binoculars; I think better than good. BUT, are they really $240 better than the other pair (FY 2000 pricing)?

Something is worth what someone will pay for it.

Bill :t:

I've only tried the current 8x42 (post 2012?) Kahles. No "Made in **** " anywhere to be seen, so who knows where that one was assembled but the glass looked very European to me. Seemed very different from the Vortex Viper HD from what I remember. I've been told the old version was Kamakura.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back