• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

using a tele vue 85 (1 Viewer)

PeterCHa

Hi
I am planning to use my Televue 85 astro scope as a digiscope.
I plan to use it with an adaptor (variable length to gain focus) and a T ring adaptor for my Nikon DSLR It has a 2inch everbrite diagonal but is left/ right "switched" what do I need to correct.
Thanks

Peter

Hi,

the scope will work fine as is, you can flip the images in post-processing...

In order to get a correct view, you would need an amici prism which are usually not so great in optical quality (except the Baader 2" one but that's $$$).

Joachim

Peter,
You probably wanted to write that you want to use your telescope as a telelens i.e. you don't need to use the diagonal and the image will be correctly erected at the camera.
If you look at https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194800 you will see tons of combinations of material, including mine.
See http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-photography.htm to learn about other solutions/terms - just noticed I don't have there a photo of my TMB photo setup...;)

Hi Peter,

The parts you will need to use the scope as a lens are:
  • T2 camera adapter that fits your camera (Nikon). There are many sources. Link
  • 2" extension tube. Length probably 80mm, this is what most of the people here are using. (Without extension tube you will not be able to have the focus plane on camera sensor). Link
  • Flocking the adapter and extension tube internally is strongly recommended, make sure it is matte in order to avoid reflections and poor contrast.

The image will be projected as it should. No need for extra prismas to switch up/down and left right.

What did you mean with "variable length to gain focus"? Were you thinking about the extension tube?

Hope this helps
Tord

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back