• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2019 - New models EL (1 Viewer)

So, to sum up, nothing on the horizon for ELs in 2019.
Nothing from the big USA SHOT event so Birdfair 2019 will be fairly sterile in terms of new binoculars - no 32mm Zeiss SF, Leica Noctuid.
The only thing I can say for sure is that there'll be no Leica Noctuid.

Auto correct now corrected. No flies on you PeterPS, sharp as a tack. Hope you didn't need binoculars to see that.
P

Regarding the statement in post # 95 above: "specifically regarding the 7x42’s, Swarobright dielectric prism coating was introduced by late 2010 (as indicated by the marking on box labels: not on #D7027; on #D7033)"
[See the next to last sentence in the post]

I have a Swarovski Owner's Manual dated and published 02/2006 which came with my 2006 Swarovski 7x42 SLC B. It covers the technical data of 8 SLC binoculars from SLC 8x30 WB through SLC 15x56 WB including the SLC 7x42 B and it implies by its presence in the manual that all the SLCs had Swarobright coatings.

On page 19 it has the following statement regarding Swarobright coating (Their emphasis)

"Interference mirror with a reflective capacity of 99.5% over the entire light spectrum!

During the coating process extremely specialized, micro thin coatings are applied with various highly scientific techniques to the surfaces of lenses and prisms. Some elements receive more than 30 coatings. This complicated procedure reduces reflections and controls all color spectrums to provide the highest light transmission, best contrast, sharpest resolution and optimal color fidelity."

From this statement by Swarovski I am confident that my 2006 SLC 7x42 B has these coatings.

Cordially,

Bob

Last edited:
''Swarobright dielectric prism coating was introduced by late 2010''

As I recall, Swarobright was introduced with release of the original EL in ~2000, and it was only a short while (a year or two?) before it and the more color neutral lens coatings were applied to all of the SLC binoculars.

--AP

Bob (post #103) and Alex (post #105)

You are both right, I was wildly off in my dating of Swarobright!
As soon as I saw Chuck's post below mine, I realised my arithmetical error and edited the offending paragraph

John

Bob (post #103) and Alex (post #105)

You are both right, I was wildly off in my dating of Swarobright!
As soon as I saw Chuck's post below mine, I realised my arithmetical error and edited the offending paragraph

John

Think nothing of it John!

It was your yeoman work in trying to determine the date that Swarovski introduced Swarobright which eventually resulted in that problem being solved:king:

Bob

Why the double posting John? This thread is about EL binoculars rather than a weatherproof observation scope which you covered separately.
P

Pyrtle

Mainly to address the postscript I just added to the post
Swarovski did launch a product with the opening of IWA (which they have been doing for the last few years)
It was just not what I had thought would be a likely hunting orientated option - an update to the EL Range (see post #5)

John

Pyrtle

Mainly to address the postscript I just added to the post
Swarovski did launch a product with the opening of IWA (which they have been doing for the last few years)
It was just not what I had thought would be a likely hunting orientated option - an update to the EL Range (see post #5)

John

If Swaro doesn't introduce a new hunting product at SHOT in Vegas, It's not happening.

I just looked up my Swarovski 8x56 slc at B&H and it says they are discontinued. The 10x56 is still available.

Those are both the old discontinued models; interesting that B&H still has a few left of the 10x... and still wants so much for them. The current 10x (which I have) and 8x56 SLCs are much nicer, but not widely stocked in the US, including B&H.

Oops, I need to correct myself on that; I was misled by glancing at tiny photos. If you search as I did for "SLC 56", B&H does display the previous Neu/WB 8x56 (and 15x) as "No longer available". But just as Robert said, the current 10x56 is available there now (along with the 15x), while the 8x is listed as "Discontinued", which indeed sounds odd. Apparently that doesn't mean by the manufacturer, but B&H. (Gordon, proudpapa56 here, is still selling all three.)

I finally decided to get the 15x to go with my 10x (thanks again Gordon!) and couldn't be more pleased. It's surprisingly easy for me (and my SO) to use handheld, and has been out to the local lake twice already, very handy for identification at greater distances. These SLCs are my favorite binocular today, when I can carry something full-sized instead of a 10x32.

Oops, I need to correct myself on that; I was misled by glancing at tiny photos. If you search as I did for "SLC 56", B&H does display the previous Neu/WB 8x56 (and 15x) as "No longer available". But just as Robert said, the current 10x56 is available there now (along with the 15x), while the 8x is listed as "Discontinued", which indeed sounds odd. Apparently that doesn't mean by the manufacturer, but B&H. (Gordon, proudpapa56 here, is still selling all three.)

I finally decided to get the 15x to go with my 10x (thanks again Gordon!) and couldn't be more pleased. It's surprisingly easy for me (and my SO) to use handheld, and has been out to the local lake twice already, very handy for identification at greater distances. These SLCs are my favorite binocular today, when I can carry something full-sized instead of a 10x32.

It seem some web searchers think B&H is the authority on binocular
availability, end of life, but this may simply mean they are out of stock.
Don't rely on them for anything like this.

So don't get nervous and worry, B&H is just a peddler, nothing more. :-O

Jerry

Right. It may not be true but it was the first place when I found out the Zeiss 8x42 ht was discontinued so they were right about that one.

I hear that there might be a replacement for the current EL line next year...
But it won't be a 3rd Gen EL....It will be something completly different

Cheers Tim

Cheers Tim

Ha! I hope that isn't true. Bin technology is so mature, what's the point? The current EL is considered by many to be the best birding bin. How could it be improved? Oh, I know--variable ratio focus!

--AP

Cheers Tim

Finally Swarovski bring image stabilisation to their premier range. It's the next logical step surely.

The original post was suggestive that a new model would be forthcoming during 2019, ( 10 year cycle ) but nothing confirmed yet in the EL range with only weeks left. As usual it is all conjecture, idle whispers or sometimes pure fabrication...... as I've deduced on similar " definite" threads.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back