• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Apopka (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
As it looks right now I will be close to lake Apopka about two weeks from now. I should have one Sunday to do the wildlife drive. Any special items I need to take into consideration? If I am to see foulvous whistling duck, is there any specific spot I need to look out for? Likewise with King Rail?

thanks
Niels

Unfortunately I've never driven it myself. I have a few friends who have - but they weren't looking for the specific birds you were - just going to see whatever they find. They got a good selection of the Florida regulars in early February, but didn't spot any rarities.

Thanks, any further feedback would still be welcome, I expect to be there tomorrow.

Niels

I was there today and it was a definitely worthwhile place to go. I did see several Fulvous WD in the first open water area, and just about every heron/egret one could expect.

Niels

Sorry I do not browse through these subforums very often and just saw this post. As far as Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive goes... we make a stop there at least once every year when down in the area. As any bird, the Fulvous can show up anywhere and , the very first time we saw them there was a group of about 20 birds flying over. We have seen them come in and land at various spots along the drive. And even had them in a small canal near the fields (on the right) towards the end. Have seen 200+ Swallow-tailed kites hawking dragonflys over the fields in mid August.
It is a great place always with plenty of birds and wildlife sightings as well as surprises... a definite must do for any birder down in the area. Just FYI for those that are unfamiliar... the drive is only open Fri-Sun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back