• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM4 60 or Pentax PF-65 EDII ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I am trying to advise a family member whether the Opticron or Pentax optically is the better scope. I have been looking at the current prices. Due to Pre-Friday sales a Pentax PF-EDAII 65 with the XW14 or XW20 eyepieces and the Opticron MM4 60 angled with the HDF T 40810 or 40831 fixed power eyepieces can now be purchased for about the same price from some authorized dealers here in the USA. I am leaning to advise her to purchase the Pentax based on my experience with the Pentax using both of the XW eyepieces. She is not interested with any zoom option. Size/weight with the Opticron being a tad smaller, with the differences being so small ..... size will not be a deciding factor. I have owned the Opticron MM3 50 but have never owned or handled a MM4 60. I’d appreciate if we could keep this discussion to only these two scopes with the eyepieces mentioned. I know many members here have owned and used the Pentax with both of the XW eyepieces. I am hopeful that some of these members have also handled or now own the Opticron MM4 60 can respond with their opinions.

Last edited:
I am trying to advise a family member whether the Opticron or Pentax optically is the better scope. I have been looking at the current prices. Due to Pre-Friday sales a Pentax PF-EDAII 65 with the XW14 or XW20 eyepieces and the Opticron MM4 60 angled with the HDF T 40810 or 40831 fixed power eyepieces can now be purchased for about the same price from some authorized dealers here in the USA. I am leaning to advise her to purchase the Pentax based on my experience with the Pentax using both of the XW eyepieces. She is not interested with any zoom option. Size/weight with the Opticron being a tad smaller, with the differences being so small ..... size will not be a deciding factor. I have owned the Opticron MM3 50 but have never owned or handled a MM4 60. I’d appreciate if we could keep this discussion to only these two scopes with the eyepieces mentioned. I know many members here have owned and used the Pentax with both of the XW eyepieces. I am hopeful that some of these members have also handled or now own the Opticron MM4 60 can respond with their opinions.

In case anyone is interested ProudPapa56(Gordon) has quoted us the best price on the Opticron MM4 60 with eyepiece if we decide to go with the Opticron.

Personally, having owned the Pentax and tried the opticron, I think the Pentax has the better view. Purely judging from memory, not side by side. The opticron I have only tried with the SDL zoom though.
I have owned other opticron eps on other opticron scoped. They all seem a bit cold or colourless (I may mean washed out but that’s putting it too strongly I don’t want to put the mm4 down, it’s a nice scope).

I still wish I had the Pentax now and then. I don’t feel the need to own the mm4.

Also Astro eps on the Pentax offer future improvement as the fov offered just get wider and wider.

Personally, having owned the Pentax and tried the opticron, I think the Pentax has the better view. Purely judging from memory, not side by side. The opticron I have only tried with the SDL zoom though.
I have owned other opticron eps on other opticron scoped. They all seem a bit cold or colourless (I may mean washed out but that’s putting it too strongly I don’t want to put the mm4 down, it’s a nice scope).

I still wish I had the Pentax now and then. I don’t feel the need to own the mm4.

Also Astro eps on the Pentax offer future improvement as the fov offered just get wider and wider.

Thanks Martin for your opinion. Every Pentax 65 ED scope I have ever handled whether being used with either the Pentax XW14 or XW20 eyepieces provided one heck of a view. I have tried other eyepieces but the XW’s really take a very good scope like the little Pentax 65 ED right up to that Alpha grade “ optically ” in that low to medium power range. Obviously the Pentax does not have that Alpha quality build like my Nikon EDG 65 or the other top tier 65mm scopes but having the ability to have the option to use so many different types of 1.25” eyepieces really is a definite plus that the others do not have. I know some here have stated having breakage problems with their little Pentax but I never experienced any such problems. Getting back to the Opticron MM4 60, I have had the urge to handle one but since this purchase is not my decision I probably will not have that opportunity. If I were younger with healthy eyes, given the great deal Gordon offered us I would tell my cousin to purchase the Opticron just so I could take a peek o:D Due to medical issues I even offered to sell my EDG to her, she thought the view was amazing but to heavy for her.

Last edited:
Many years ago I owned the 65 ED with both XW EPs and thought it outstanding at low to mid range, but eventually sought the greater reach at higher power of the swarovski scopes. Additionally I currently own the opticron 60 and a lightweight tripod that I can comfortably carry in the field all day. My suggestion having owned both Pentax and opticron scopes is to buy the Pentax.

Many years ago I owned the 65 ED with both XW EPs and thought it outstanding at low to mid range, but eventually sought the greater reach at higher power of the swarovski scopes. Additionally I currently own the opticron 60 and a lightweight tripod that I can comfortably carry in the field all day. My suggestion having owned both Pentax and opticron scopes is to buy the Pentax.

Thanks for your opinion. The one thing that rings strongly over these years since the little Pentax first arrived on the scene is .... most users praised the Pentax 65 PF-ED with having a Alpha like view when used with either of the XW14 or XW20 eyepieces. My cousin got a chance to experience that view with the XW20 eyepiece with a used Pentax 65 in a local camera store a few days ago. As a result she has placed a new order for the Pentax along with the XW20 eyepiece.

I have a PF65 and I use it with the XW20 and a couple of other eps The 15mm BST gives a superb view, pin sharp, highly recommend and for £50 a bargain. I also use couple of Opticron eps. a16mm and a12mm, the are also excellent and unlike the BST, weather proof.
I've just bought a Baader MK 1V zoom, you have to tape the adapter to the zoom body and that also works a treat and easily reaches infinity focus.
I think Opticron make great scopes, but for me the screw thread is a non starter. The 1.25 pop in Astra fitting is boon. Don't know why more manufactures don't use it. They might not sell as many eps, but I'm sure they would sell a lot mote scope body’s.

I've just bought a Baader MK 1V zoom, you have to tape the adapter to the zoom body and that also works a treat and easily reaches infinity focus.

giosblue - any chance you could post some more detailed instructions (and hopefully pics) as I'm considering doing this but was told by Baader Planetarium that the MkIV isn't compatible with my PF65 ED II.

gcole;3925750My cousin got a chance to experience that view with the XW20 eyepiece with a used Pentax 65 in a local camera store a few days ago. As a result she has placed a new order for the Pentax along with the XW20 eyepiece.[/QUOTE said:
I had a chance to handle the Pentax PF-65 EDA spotting scope my cousin received new with the XW20 eyepiece. What a fine specimen she received. Though it is not much fun viewing with one eye anymore, it still amazes me every time time I get a chance to use this little gem with this XW eyepiece. Her total price from OpticsPlanet on sale for the whole package was $662. shipped. I have yet to see any small 65mm scope of that size provide such a beautiful low power wide view in that price range. It was not that long ago that so many here had such high praise for this little jewel which was one of the first to offer the availability to swap/use 1.25” eyepieces with a price most could afford. I am going from memory now but the specimen my cousin just received seemed to have a cleaner/ nicer texture look and feel with much darker coatings. The inside walls also were nicely darkened. I wonder if Pentax has actually made some small improvements over the years ? I have owned some of the best spotters over the years with my Nikon EDG 65 being the last I owned but have always found the little Pentax to be the best value to quality and definitively the most fun to use.

giosblue - any chance you could post some more detailed instructions (and hopefully pics) as I'm considering doing this but was told by Baader Planetarium that the MkIV isn't compatible with my PF65 ED II.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, only just seen your post.
Baader are correct, the modification they made to the MK1V zoom have no effect on the Pentax scopes. However, it can be made to work and work well in the Pentax spotters.

Take a look at my post in the Pentax section and you will see what I mean.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back