• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Establishing a colony of Tree Sparrows! (1 Viewer)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
I've just created a new web page, with details of my efforts to date to establish a wee colony of Tree Sparrows here in my north Antrim garden.

Hopefully it might encourage other folk to put up a nest box or two in their own garden.

Helping Tree Sparrows

Cheers,
Dick

Since posting the site I've been contacted by someone in Finland who tells me they're having a lot of success feeding them & putting up nest boxes, but they find that they actually prefer horizontal ones, so my future boxes will be horizontal. I wonder if anyone in the UK has tried this style. Have seen no mention of this on BTO or RSPB literature.

For the record, here's a box I made yesterday to replace an old store bought small triple box, on the back end of my garage .. facing N.E..
Inside dimensions 4 x 20cm x 10cm.

It'll be very interesting to see how popular these are with my Tree Sparrows.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• horizontal.tree.sparrow.nest.box.jpg
    horizontal.tree.sparrow.nest.box.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 29
Since posting the site I've been contacted by someone in Finland who tells me they're having a lot of success feeding them & putting up nest boxes, but they find that they actually prefer horizontal ones ...

This morning, they kindly sent me these two photos of triple versions of their horizontal ones.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• finish.horizontal.box.2.jpg
    finish.horizontal.box.2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 20
  • finish.horizontal.box.1.jpg
    finish.horizontal.box.1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 21
You could try contacting Vine house farm in Lincolnshire. They have a good website for buying boxes and seed, but they also have a healthy population of Tree Sparrows on the farm. Wouldn't hurt to ask their advice.

You could try contacting Vine house farm in Lincolnshire. They have a good website for buying boxes and seed, but they also have a healthy population of Tree Sparrows on the farm. Wouldn't hurt to ask their advice.

Yes, I'm familiar with their excellent work & their great website, but no evidence of horizontal boxes on their site.

Cheers,
Dick

Hi Dick,

I've just created a new web page, with details of my efforts to date to establish a wee colony of Tree Sparrows here in my north Antrim garden.

Wonderful!

From what I've read about sparrows here in Germany, they seem to need a bit of sandy ground for sand bathing.

I had a couple of Tree Sparrows breeding in my backyard for two years ... I figure they were attracted by the sandbox in the playground.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Dick,

Yes, both my House & Tree Sparrows make good use of our ponies sandy Arena.

Ah, that's great. Horse paddocks seem to be attractive to birds for more than one reason ... which I realized when I once saw a pair of Whinchats perching on the fence posts and hunting the insects that had been attracted by the horse droppings.

Unfortunately, I never saw that pair again ... Whinchats are on the decline here in Germany.

Your project to create a varied "garden" biotope is quite inspiring. Thanks a lot for sharing the pictures and videos! :)

Regards,

Henning

Ah, that's great. Horse paddocks seem to be attractive to birds for more than one reason ... which I realized when I once saw a pair of Whinchats perching on the fence posts and hunting the insects that had been attracted by the horse droppings.

Unfortunately, I never saw that pair again ... Whinchats are on the decline here in Germany.

Lucky you.

I'm fortunate to have a pair nesting on my patch but they are a few miles away from my garden.

I've attached a photo.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• whinchat.29th.june.1.jpg
    whinchat.29th.june.1.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 14
For the record, here's a box I made yesterday to replace an old store bought small triple box, on the back end of my garage .. facing N.E..
Inside dimensions 4 x 20cm x 10cm.

I fitted my newly made 4 compartment set of Tree Sparrow nest boxes on the back wall of the garage today.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• tree.sparrow.4.boxes.2.jpg
    tree.sparrow.4.boxes.2.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 16
  • tree.sparrow.4.boxes.1.jpg
    tree.sparrow.4.boxes.1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 13
  • tree.sparrow.4.boxes.3.jpg
    tree.sparrow.4.boxes.3.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back