• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Kingfisher (1 Viewer)

WaqarM

Hi,

I have photographed a lot of common kingfishers in different areas of Pakistan. Normally they are blue in colour. However, this bird that I shot at Haleji Lake is green. Can anyone help me with the possible reason so that I have a better understanding of this bird?

Attachments

• DSC_8542.jpg
    DSC_8542.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 42
Hi,

I have photographed a lot of common kingfishers in different areas of Pakistan. Normally they are blue in colour. However, this bird that I shot at Haleji Lake is green. Can anyone help me with the possible reason so that I have a better understanding of this bird?

There are variations in the structural colours of the feathers' barbs, and this can have changing influence depending upon feather age, growth and moult. The species has no blue pigment in its feathers, the effects being selective absorbance and reflection of the spectrum that usually results in blue light emission. this 2011 paper may help:

Doekele G. Stavenga, Jan Tinbergen, Hein L. Leertouwer, Bodo D. Wilts
Journal of Experimental Biology 2011 214: 3960-3967; doi: 10.1242/jeb.062620

See:
https://jeb.biologists.org/content/214/23/3960

MJB

It may also be relevant that young Common kingfishers are typically greener than adults, so maybe this is a young bird that has retained juvenile plumage.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back