• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song, Bukit Fraser, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

pandachris

Partly to see if this works (I haven't tried attaching a sound file before) and partly to hide my embarassment at confidently identifying a species only to discover that the bird that I identified doesn't exist, can anyone help with this (the most obvious song, and not the moped)?

NB - I changed the file extension from .wma to mp3. It seems to play alright in Windows Media Player but comes up with a warning message first. I'm not attempting an unsubtle sabotage.

Attachments

• BF20090416.MP3
    180.3 KB · Views: 54
Hah! Got it myself (I'm working on my bird list for the trip) - it's Mountain Tailorbird. I might have another from the same area on the same date, 16th April.

Anybody fancy this one? It's the short call that crops up about 5 times. Not as clear as the previous one, I'm afraid. Early evening on the 'new road'.

Attachments

• BF20090416-2.MP3
    321 KB · Views: 49
And just one more time. It's the attachment in post 3, not the one in post 1. There is one call quite early on then you have to wait a while for four more, closer together.

And just one more time. It's the attachment in post 3, not the one in post 1. There is one call quite early on then you have to wait a while for four more, closer together.

Hi Chris

I can confirm what you already know about the first song - it is a Mountain T'bird.

The second is a bit more of a challenge; the call sounds a bit babbler-ish, but the infrequency of utterance is more akin to a flycatcher. Sorry - nothing more constructive to contribute unless inspiration strikes.

Dave

Thanks Dave

I've listened to dozens of calls from a variety of families on the Jelle Scharringa disk and found nothing like it. We tried to coax the bird out with play back but it was having none of it and was in dense cover. I'll give those babblers a try tonight.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back