• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard Amestedam 28.02.2020 (1 Viewer)

I,m not sure about this buzzard , initially i have record it as common but i never seen this coloration in the south of Europe.
Could this be a Rough-legged Buzzard ( Pic Right )

Attachments

• butteo-1.jpg
    butteo-1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 120
I think it is within the range of variation for Common buzzard Rogerio, I have seen a very similar 2cy bird here in Somerset. The streaking on the chest and tail pattern rule out Rough/Long legged buzzard.

would be very unusual to have a 2nc cal RLB to have a completely light belly, also if the fine streaking in the primaries is not an artefact it is much better for Common which I think it is

Thanks for your input Tom I'd meant to say that the chest streaking and lack of dark belly aren't good for RLB, and in combination with the other features can fairly safely exclude that species. I'll try to dig out the pictures of the local bird for comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back