• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-throated sparrow or hairy woodpecker? - California, Bay Area (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
This morning, on the Santa Cruz mountains (close to skyline boulevard) I saw this bird. I apologize for the bad quality of the picture, it's all I could get before it flew away.

As you can see, the color pattern on the head recalls a Mountain Chickadee, but Mountain Chickadee it is not. Some hypotheses:

- Black-throated Sparrow. It would be a juvenile. The beak seems a bit long, but it's a decent match for the wing patterns.

- Hairy woodpecker. But I cannot identify the white patch on the back. The beak seems to be a good match, and so does the yellowish tuft on the beak.
But the wing pattern also does not seem to be a perfect match.

Do you have any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• 2020-07-09_10-41-35_P7090185.jpg
    2020-07-09_10-41-35_P7090185.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 73
Ah! You are absolutely right. Now I see that it's a perfect match. I am very very grateful; I had seen a few of those, and I was completely at a loss.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back