• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED/HDF Glass affecting RBI/Twilight factor (1 Viewer)

cassowary

Does anyone know if ED glass affects either of these parameters? perhaps important if you are looking at travel scopes?

For background I copied the info below

RELATIVE BRIGHTNESS INDEX (RBI)
Relative brightness index or RBI is used as a comparison of image brightness but it does have severe limitations as discussed below. It is determined by square root of the exit pupil. An RBI of 25 or more is considered useful in low light conditions. In bright light conditions an RBI of 9 would have no brightness advantage over one of 50.

RBI = Diameter / Power = exit pupil x square root.
Example : 7x50 binocular 50/7 = 7.14 x 7.14 = 50.98 = relative brightness.

TWILIGHT FACTOR
Twilight factor is a measurement of viewing sharpness and image detail in low light conditions. The larger the twilight factor, the more efficient the low light performance. This indication has some limitations. To calculate the twilight factor, take the square root of the power multiplied by the objective lens diameter.

all input welcome mike

cassowary said:
Does anyone know if ED glass affects either of these parameters? perhaps important if you are looking at travel scopes?

ED glass doesn't affect either of these parameters. In addition, both parameters are of dubious relevance to birding optics anyway.

Hermann

Felt like a silly question because the parameters of calculation don't take into account the type of glass used.

However I have heard that ED/HDF glass can give a brighter image (per unit area of glass).

Perhaps the parameter I was intrested in is 'effective light transmission'. I am not sure which variables have the most significance on this performance factor. Perhaps the optical variability in brightness between scopes of the same Objective and mag is so similar it is not worth quantifying?

Perhaps this has already been discussed in another thread.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back