• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Minox BL 8X56 HD Model 2017 (1 Viewer)

I am very happy with them....great in low lite conditions...even though they are the lightest and shortest 8x56 around they are still to much to carry around as a primary bin IMO....so I just use them sparingly when I know I will need their extra light gathering capability....

I think the Minox BL line is a very good series. I've used the 8x33 and really liked them, except the focuser turned the wrong way for me (clockwise is closer on the BL). I ended up with a kowa genesis in the end, but the Minox BL was my 2nd choice.

If you are in the BL price range, there's basically the BL and the Zeiss Conquest. Around the $700 price, there's Meopta, Kowa, and GPO.

Personally, I pick a good on-line retailer (opticsplanet, B&H, etc) and order a few (e.g. zeiss, minox, kowa, GPO) and test them out then return the ones I don't want. I find that for binoculars that are, more-or-less optically similar, there can be large variations in the ergonomics for your particular eyes and face. You can't go just by the stats. If you time it right, you'll get the refund before the credit card bill is due. Just handle them all very carefully and don't get stuff mixed up between the boxes. My opinion is that on-line retailers make money by not having brick and mortar stores everywhere, so they're going to expect returns.

These are out now. I decided to get the Docter ED/OH. The Docter is a 3 oz. heavier, has AK prisms, and an inch longer. It is very bright, and sharp to nearly the edge. It also has a tripod exit. THE FOV is almost the same as the new Minox. So far, I like my Docter! Of course I haven't compared i to any other 8 x 56's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back