• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advise on 10x25 binocular? (2 Viewers)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am looking for information about some good binocular very compact, pocket but powerful 10x25 and I would like to hear your advice ..
Thank you very much in advance.
Wachi

Wachi,

My advice is "be careful." Smaller binoculars are more difficult to hold steady, smaller exit pupils are more difficult to get properly aligned with your eyes, and higher magnification usually implies reduced actual field of view as well. The additional magnifying power of 10x may not give you any more detail unless you can get on target quickly and hold it steady. I would suggest side by side tested of an 8x25 and 10x25 of the same quality before making a purchase.

All that being said, I am very pleased with the Zeiss Victory 8x25, and they do make a 10x25 model. There is a long review thread in the Zeiss forum.

Alan

I have the Nikon trailblazer 10x25 and the Leica Ultravid 8x20. I agree with the previous poster "be careful." The Nikon 10x25 are not a great view and the get dim very fast in mixed or poor lighting. The Leica (which cost like 8x more) do fairly well in mixed lighting and are so tiny they really do fit in a regular pocket. That's why I got them. The view is very good for the size, I think, but you are looking through tiny holes.

I have not used the Zeiss Victory 8x25 or 10x25. I've heard they are great.

Marc

Wachi,

My advice is "be careful." Smaller binoculars are more difficult to hold steady, smaller exit pupils are more difficult to get properly aligned with your eyes, and higher magnification usually implies reduced actual field of view as well. The additional magnifying power of 10x may not give you any more detail unless you can get on target quickly and hold it steady. I would suggest side by side tested of an 8x25 and 10x25 of the same quality before making a purchase.

All that being said, I am very pleased with the Zeiss Victory 8x25, and they do make a 10x25 model. There is a long review thread in the Zeiss forum.

Alan

You have received good advice, so far. But, before you buy, put your hand on your wallet and do some judicious reading. What a newcomer WANTS seldom relates to the REALITIES of the matter. Become familiar with those realities.

In this case, speed does not kill. But it can be detrimental to that wallet and what you THOUGHT you were buying. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Hello,
I am looking for information about some good binocular very compact, pocket but powerful 10x25 and I would like to hear your advice ..
Wachi

Hi Wachi,

Hopefully, the earlier pearls of wisdom have not dissuaded you from a 10x25, IF you've already concluded that one would best meet your needs. This configuration has been made for many years by all the major manufacturers and there are good reasons. As an example, my Swaro 10x25 SLC has served me well for nearly 30 yrs. for birding, concerts, travel, spotting, and general use. It has accompanied me and my wife on many world trips but were it not for insufficient eye relief with eyeglasses I'd still be using them. They work fine in darkened theaters because on-stage lighting provides sufficient contrast.

The 10x25 has the same 2.5 mm exit pupil as an 8x20 but being somewhat longer usually has more to grab onto. Any pocket binocular requires developing your own holding/viewing technique, which in my case results in less shake and a better view than any fiddly 8x20. Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, and Nikon make excellent 10x25s, but I'm not ruling out other manufacturers. For discerning which one is "best," I'd refer you back to WJC who will run you through the appropriate myths. Nowadays, I really like Leica's 10x25 BR.

Ed

I'd be looking at Zeiss 10x25 Victory Pocket, Leica 10x25 Ultravid BR or BL (_not_ Leica 10x25 Trinovid, which has very poor close focus), or Swarovski 10x25 CL. My best budget choice would be Bushnell 10x25 Legend Ultra HD, which is still widely available for ~$150 (B&H, Amazon). It is extremely good optically and is better made than the full-sized bins in that series.

--AP

Hello,
Wachi

I'd take a serious look at the Zeiss Terra ED 10x25. I have both the 8x and 10x model of this binocular and its pretty fantastic. The price isn't bad either, at around $300USD.

For compacts, also make sure IPD is not a concern.

I'd take a serious look at the Zeiss Terra ED 10x25. I have both the 8x and 10x model of this binocular and its pretty fantastic. The price isn't bad either, at around $300USD.

For compacts, also make sure IPD is not a concern.

agree with this....I have both but use the 8x most of the time....dont spend big $$$$ on a compact binocular unless you intend for it to be your do everything/only binocular....

On the beginning of this binoculars hobby I got a Minolta Activa 10x24 reverse Porro. It worked very well in its silver plastic body. I was happy how bright it was and how light baffled it was. Now that old line has passed away like ephemera.

Alexis Powell mentions the Bushnell Elite 10x though I can't seem to find it currently being sold.

Go with the Vortex Vanquish 10x26 at Adorama, B&H Photo Video, or Optics Planet.
Leupold Rouge BX-1 10x25
Olympus 10x25 Tracker PC1

Sometimes I buy the cheaper but excellent performing binoculars to see how I like that specification. Later I can buy the top tier binoculars with confidence in their use.

Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back