Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Any thoughts on No-Mess Blends from Wild Birds Unlimited

Old Wednesday 13th June 2018, 00:42   #1
Crusty

Any thoughts on No-Mess Blends from Wild Birds Unlimited

Any thoughts on the following bird food blends from Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops?

No-Mess Blend (Sunflower Chips, Peanuts, Hulled White Millet). Manufactured by Lizzie Mae Birdseed & Dry Goods Co., Rittman, Ohio, USA.

No-Mess Plus Blend (Sunflower Chips, Peanuts, Mixed Tree Nuts, Bark Butter Bits [Corn, Roasted Peanuts, Rendered Beef Suet, Oats, Soy Oil, Calcium], Cherries, Cranberries). Manufactured by Burkmann Feeds, Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA.
Old Wednesday 13th June 2018, 01:22   #2
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

No mess is a good idea, because the hulls really do a number on the grass. Possibly sunflower hulls contain some plant growth inhibitor or toxin, they create a bare spot where they accumulate.

It is probably simpler to just use shelled sunflower seed and separate suet feeders, that keeps both the cardinals as well as the woodpeckers happy. Millet never worked for me, no one ate it, not even the mourning doves, so it was just wasted. Perhaps if there had been grouse or pheasant, there might have been takers.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th June 2018, 02:09   #3
keithdog

No Mess from WBU is pretty good. I have a couple other mom and pop stores nearby who mix and bag their own no mess mix which I like better. I like the no mess feed for the feeders I have out on my back deck. What falls to the deck below is usually mostly eaten.
Old Wednesday 13th June 2018, 14:08   #4
snowyowl

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada and Central Florida, USA
Sounds very expensive. I find that the spilled seed attracts other species that don't often go on feeders. Juncos are one, other sparrows and doves as well.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: