• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

And another one from my summertrip to Mallorca. This time it is from Cuber. The prominent white throat and the lack of red around the eye makes me a bit curious. I mean, it is Cuber... ;-)

Or is it just a pretty odd looking female Sardinian?

Hello Yens,
not sure if somebody reply your message.
In my opinion a juvenile Sardinian Warbler, very similar in plumage to females but more uniform colour in head, mantle and wings.
Regards,
Cristina.

In Mortitx this morning with Russell, Richard, Jenny and Mary: many Black vultures in the valley, 1 Bonelli's and 1 Booted eagles, many Blue Rock thrush singing and flying around, Cirl buntings, Redstarts, Firecrests, 2 Wrynecks heard, 1 Barn Swallow, quite a lot of Crag Martins and Swifts flying high near the vultures... But the best moments have been 1 Lesser kestrel perched on top of a rock and a group of (at least) 26 Black vultures flying very high and distant just when we were leaving the valley.

Lunch at la Gola (thanks Cris), with a nice Squacco heron plus Little egret and Grey heron.

Afternoon in the Boquer valley: very quiet (and very hot), lots of Sardinian heard, also BR thrush, plus some Stonechats, Crag Martins and a minimum of 5 Balearic warblers. Altogether not a bad day.

We are going again to Mortitx and to Boquer next week in case anyone is interested. Also to Son Real, Formentor and a full day for a deep visit in and around Albufera.

Hi Pere,

Back home in the UK now. Just a quick note to say thanks for your time on Friday. Had a really enjoyable day.

Will post some of my photos from the day as I get around to editing them.

Friday gave me a sense of the potential in the area (having never been before) so I may have to have a return trip for a longer period of birding.

Richard

Hello again,
some more birds arriving to la Gola.
These are the birds seen yesterday (attached photo) plus 6 Common Starling just before I left the Bird Centre.

This morning at least 4 Yellow wagtail and one Green Sandpiper have arrived to the park.

Attachments

• llistat.jpg
    llistat.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 38
I logged seven Booted eagles flying over Santanyi this morning whilst having coffee with friends.
This is a much higher figure than I would expect for resident birds so I wonder if there is some movement of this species like there was last year. Another morning at the Cap will establish this.
I’m surprised I have any friends at all as they never get my full attention if we are anywhere near a bit of sky.
Mike

After dropping our wives at Alcudia for the market, Adriaan came with me for a days birding. After a brief stop at Maristany (which was carpeted with coot and best bird was a squacco which we disturbed from the water’s edge) we spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon at S’Albufera.

It’s always good to spend time there and we really enjoyed ambling around the trails and sitting in the hides. Nothing special to report (although I guess that depends on what you define as special!).

An osprey was in the air to the north as we walked the entrance track, with a juv night heron in the bushes across the canal. A good selection of waders, including greenshank, spotted redshank, redshank, green sand, common sand, and ringed plover were on the scrapes. It was nice to see 4 lapwing at Sa Roca (early?), where we had two marbled teal on our second visit. Two Eleanora’s falcons flew close overhead as we stood on the mound.

We saw some nice dragonflies, including two violet drop wings and two scarlet dragonflies, with small red-eyed damselfly near the main canal.

Stew

Attachments

• 87545E68-6284-4ADE-ADBE-76588AA1896E.jpg
    87545E68-6284-4ADE-ADBE-76588AA1896E.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DC478062-7EAE-4639-BE7F-1547E48351D1.jpg
    DC478062-7EAE-4639-BE7F-1547E48351D1.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1E3A2CF6-33CA-4923-8595-AAAAE7AD2CFB.jpg
    1E3A2CF6-33CA-4923-8595-AAAAE7AD2CFB.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 4BD86263-3F1B-4B09-B1B2-B8AE4A4B85A5.jpg
    4BD86263-3F1B-4B09-B1B2-B8AE4A4B85A5.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 19
I didn’t bring a butterfly guide with me, but I think that this is a Lang’s short-tailed blue (taken at S’Albufera today). Can anyone confirm or correct please?

Ste

Attachments

• AC8DD885-8C3D-4AC2-85F9-263548B36370.jpg
    AC8DD885-8C3D-4AC2-85F9-263548B36370.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 52
I didn’t bring a butterfly guide with me, but I think that this is a Lang’s short-tailed blue (taken at S’Albufera today). Can anyone confirm or correct please?

Ste

I don't think it is (but I haven't got my guide to hand either) - can't see the small "tail" normally seen on Lang's Short-tailed. I have a couple of pics on my Flickr page if you want to compare (they aren't resized for posting on BF just now).

Sorry - realise that doesn't correct the ID. I'll did out my guide when I get chance.

Edit - link to pic here - Lang's Short Tailed Blue - Kefalonia

Richard

Last edited:
Ste

Yes, that's Lang's Short tailed Blue. The underside is diagnostic and there's nothing similar in the Balearics and it's reasonably common in s'Albufera.
Martin

Thanks Richard and Martin. That’s a new one for me (didn’t start paying attention to butterflies in Mallorca until last year).

Stew

Thanks Richard and Martin. That’s a new one for me (didn’t start paying attention to butterflies in Mallorca until last year).
Stew

There aren't that many species but if you want a guide to them, cut and paste petita guia de les papallones into google and the first hit should be a .pdf of a booklet on the butterflies.
Martin

After such a good day at the Cap yesterday, it was a bit of a shock to see absolutely nothing today. Hey ho.
Just to reconfirm Graham’s theory about the Rock sparrows retreating when the traffic comes, I was at passatge 5 early and there was a big flock of them feeding both in the fields and on the grass verge which had just been cut. I stayed with them trying to take photographs but they are very flighty, especially when the cars started arriving. With each passing car they retreated further away until none could be seen. As I said before, they come back from time to time, but only in ones and twos, but the big flocks have dissipated by that time.
With regards to the Mute swan that I saw and photographed from the Cap, it seems to have been accepted as a genuine vagrant much to my surprise but what would I know? Mike

Hi Mike. Mute swan is classified as category A ("present in apparent natural state" in Spain), and although accidental to the Balearics, there's a breeding population nearby on the eastern peninsula. Therefore, natural arrival is probable (and the lone one in the Palma cathedral lake is still there o:)). The bird in question seems to be enjoying an "island tour" having already visited Palma, Cap Salines and Portocolom.. :-O

:t:

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I was a bit surprised to see it swimming serenely past the Cap but didn’t give it much thought after that.
I’ve since looked into it more and now understand a bit more about it’s status in Mallorca and mainland Spain. Thanks also for your input. I’m just off to the Cap again now after these strong winds so I’ll see if I can find something else. Mike

We're coming to Mallorca next week, to Cala D'Or instead of our usual Cala San Vicent. We hope to make it out to Cap Salines. As we don't hire a car, which is the best way to walk there ... birdwise? Or would cycling be a good option?

Pancho44.

Hi Pancho44, if you want to walk it will take up most of your holiday.
I’m in Porto Petro next to Cala d’Or and would be very happy to pick you up and take you there and back, we can share some time birding there. The problem is, I’m going back to the UK Tuesday so Sunday and Monday are the only options. Monday I have to be back at 2pm.
I will send a private message with my phone numbers.
We can also go to my local lighthouse Sunday evening if you need Shearwaters.
Mike

It was quite windy at the Cap this morning.
Two Honey Buzzard passed overhead but very high.
Two Hobby and a Kestrel left the Island and a group of 26 migrating Night heron flew west.
I couldn’t stay long sadly because things were just hotting up. I get very frustrated thinking about all those birds passing through with nobody there to record them...or enjoy them come to that!
Mike

Mike - thanks very much for the offer, but we're not arriving until Tuesday so sadly it won't work. I wasn't thinking of walking all the way! A bus to ses Salines/Lombards or to Cala Lombards, then walk, was what I had in mind.

Also, is it worth having a boat trip out to Cabrera?

Pancho44.

A boat trip to Cabrera is always worth it, it’s a wonderful Island and there is lots to see there plus during migration time, anything can turn up.
The Cap is very hard to get to, the approach road seems to go on forever. Bicycle may be an option, it depends how fit you are.
I hope whatever you decide, you have a great time and see lots of good birds. Let us know and I’m sorry we are not meeting up.
All the best, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back