• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MEOPTA 10x42 HD highest honor of “Editors Choice” (1 Viewer)

tazzilla

well its out in the June/July 2012 issue of OutdoorLife, the Meopta 10×42 HD binoculars received the highest honor of “Editors Choice” against an elite field of competing binocular models from Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and others. Meopta is now really a true Alpha at 1/2 the cost!!!! Yes I still love my MeOpta HD's

http://www.meoptabinoculars.com/

Great news!

I've just ordered some Meostar 8x32s after advice from members here and reading excellent reviews.

There doesn't seem to be any sign of HD versions of other models coming any time soon. I'd be curious to know why but I like to think that Meopta don't introduce change for its own sake, only upgrading products where a clear benefit is perceived. Naive of me perhaps.

This view will immediately change if/when a HD 8x32 is released and I get the upgrade itch.

Last edited:
I've just ordered some Meostar 8x32....

Partially correct. I placed an order and am now told that they have none in stock. Also, Meopta aren't making any more until July. Bah.

Also, From Meopta CZ: "Thank you for your email.
There are no current plans on developing a MeoStar B1 8x32 with HD optics at this time."

Hello Bobby,

I bought a Meopta Meostar 8x32, slightly used, 5 month ago. I also have one of the first Zeiss Victory FL 10x42 (2004), plus a Swarovski Habicht W GA (green rubber) 10x40 almost new.
I can tell you the "little" Meopta is absolutely on par with the other two!!! Enjoy jours!!

PH

You should like them Meopta has a great product. I hated spending what I did on my 10x42 HD's but when I pick them up and use them I remember why I bought them they really are that nice and they do hold their own aginst the other Alphas out there. Meopta is the new Alpha Brand hurry and get a pair before prices go up.

I just was looking at the 10x42 HD on CameraLand website and see they are listed at 27oz but the Cabelas twin is like 31oz. Wonder why the difference or if they are both true to their listed weight?

Had the Meopta 8x32s for a day now, a quick rundown of first impressions (not a binocular buff and have no comparables at the moment).

Great build*, compact and feel good in the hand. Nice clear view, some softness and curvature at the very edge. No 'rolling ball' to my eyes.
Get quite a lot of blackouts, much of it due to trying to 'use all of the field' which I don't normally do; also flickers when panning close in. Eye placement seems more critical than previous EIIs, but that's not exactly a criticism. The view is very nice, sharp (if a little 2-D), colour seems neutral. Focusser is smooth, quite stiff.

Any doubt about the target audience is dispelled when you see the natty loden case. Would look just the thing on the line of a Bavarian Battue, which may not be a plus point for the average BFer. The ocular guard locks on and is a little annoying. The objective covers are useless and the strap is lumpy and perhaps over-engineered.

*there's a 3mm scratch to the tube blackening showing clean aluminium when looking through the right objective. It's a little disappointing.

So, the glass is great and the accessories rubbish. Holger eat your heart out.

As you were.

Last edited:
One should always consider the source of any review. Outdoor Life has always impressed me as being a pimp for the NRA. Additionally, their reviews were for products offered for sale by Cabelas. And, Meopta manufactured Cabelas European binocular line. So..... considering the source ..... I'm not impressed!

bearclawthedonut

Bear:

I'm thinking Outdoor Life, likes to cater to advertisers when they put out the list
of top choices. Nothing wrong with the NRA, and I am wondering why you would
even mention that. Protecting constitutional rights is a great thing. OL reviews have been brought up here before, and if you have tried some of their picks, you would probably agree.

As far as Cabelas goes, they probably sell more Meopta binoculars branded as the Europa series, in the US, than Meopta does. The biggest seller is 10x42.

One large sporting goods chain that I visit regularly, (not Cabelas) and they have the Meopta in the case, but when the price point gets over $800. the guys look to the Alphas, otherwise, the usual way to go is Nikon or Bushnell.

Jerry

Being from the UK I had little knowledge of Outdoor Life's target demographic. Considering that they market hunting optics it comes as no surprise. Personally I don't share the view of a dichotomy between hunting and birding.

The great news is that there are plenty of positive reviews for the Meostars from other sources to support the notion that they are a good buy.

One should always consider the source of any review. Outdoor Life has always impressed me as being a pimp for the NRA. Additionally, their reviews were for products offered for sale by Cabelas. And, Meopta manufactured Cabelas European binocular line. So..... considering the source ..... I'm not impressed!

bearclawthedonut

Got to ask have you even tried them yourself. If not then how could you be impressed. I have looked through over 40 plus binoculars in the last 7 months or so. The Meoptas HD are the ones that just flat out yelled Alpha they are that good and I hate spending that much on glass but I can't seem to let my self sell them to get something else. I have a habbit of buying and selling everything I like to horse trade but this time around I have a keeper and they are that damm good.

Got to ask have you even tried them yourself. If not then how could you be impressed. I have looked through over 40 plus binoculars in the last 7 months or so. The Meoptas HD are the ones that just flat out yelled Alpha they are that good and I hate spending that much on glass but I can't seem to let my self sell them to get something else. I have a habbit of buying and selling everything I like to horse trade but this time around I have a keeper and they are that damm good.

Reviewing a binocular without owning or even looking through it, seems like a common practice. :-O

I've looked through the non HD versions of the 8 and 10 42's. I was impressed, the hd can only be better. Why do people have to be such a buzz kill? Tazz is happy, jealous cuz yer not? Enjoy tazz.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back