• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YL Gull confirmation please (1 Viewer)

GMS

I have this down as a 1st winter Yellow-legged Gull but wanted confirmation on this. I think overall structure, head pattern, belly, flanks, underwing, faint primary window, greater coverts pattern look all good for YL Gull IMO. However whilst the black tail band seems well defined, there are a fair few marks on the rump. It this still within variation?

Also mantle and scaps seem quite heavily marked. Some question as above.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1963 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    1963 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 1973 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    1973 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 1987 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    1987 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    910.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 1990 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    1990 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • 1994 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    1994 BF 15Feb20.jpg
    941.3 KB · Views: 37
I can't say either way on this bird, despite the excellent images, but perhaps 2cy Lesser Black-backed Gull should also be in the equation. They can be very similar!

If it is a YLG then it's frustrating that it isn't one showing lots of advanced moult in the wing coverts that we see in many individuals of this age. Everything there is still worn juvenile!

There is a bit of a primary window, but perhaps it's also within range of LBBG? Likewise the rather densely marked underwing coverts are perhaps better for LBBG too?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I did wonder about state of moult but have to admit I never thought about LBBG because I would have expected a very much darker plumage generally for a bird of this age. Always learning!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back