• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 mins birding (1 Viewer)

3rd attempt for the day rather less successful with only Herring Gull, Goldfinch, Feral Pigeon and Jackdaw seen. Magpie heard only this time.
Think I'm on 12 species seen and 3 heard only for the day - which given my rather unpromising location isn't too bad. Will have 1 or 2 more attempts to add to list today, but I'm not overly hopeful.

Given the current worldwide situation maybe this is an idea that's time has (rather unfortunately) come around. Taking 5 mins just to look out of a window at the birds (and any other nature you might see) might be a welcome break from looking at the same 4 walls, and should be possible, practically everywhere - you might not see/hear much, but you may also be surprised by just what is around in/passing through your local area (I've had a few nice surprises - Bullfinches, Waxwings and Grey Wagtail probably the most unexpected, given my almost tree-less/water-less urban location). Why not give it a go, and see what you see (and hear) to beat the boredom and monotony. You could even try it every hour/day at a particular time to see how things change.

Anyway, my latest attempt here in Dundee just before 1300 resulted in a lack of anything small (it is rather windy and it had just stopped raining) except for a heard-only Blackbird and a single Starling in flight. Otherwise, plenty of Herring Gulls and a single Lesser Black Backed Gull seemingly enjoying the windy conditions. A pair of Jackdaws and a pair of Carrion Crows circling up together (pair behaviour?). Other than those a few of the local Feral Pigeons.

Seems like there are a few variations of this happening regardless of whether anyone has read this post, but here's my latest attempt.

Windy day, mid afternoon, so never the most productive opportunity. Herring Gulls aplenty, Carrion Crow, Feral Pigeons, Jackdaws pair, Starling flock and a single Magpie.

Latest attempt, just before 5pm today, from my front window in Dundee. Lovely sunny day, not much wind.

Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Starling, Lesser Black Backed Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow. Blue Tit heard only.

Good luck. You may not see anything too unusual, but you never know - I've had a few surprises while doing this (Bullfinches and Waxwings in particular).

Standing at the kitchen door 11-45 to 11.55

1. Dunnock x 2
2. Robin
3. Jackdaws x 6
4. Woodpigeons x 9
5. Greenfinch x 2
6 Goldfinch x 6
7. Blackbird
8. Magpie x 3
9. House Sparrow x 2
10. Blue Tit x 2

Overhead

11. 2 x c.Buzzards mobbing another c.Buzzard
12. Lesser Black-backed Gulls
13. Carrion Crow

Tbh - standing looking out of the kitchen door with my bins (always kept on counter in kitchen unless Ive gone to work/birding) is something I do many times in the course of the day so not too much of an effort.

Ps I have a feeling for those of us in the UK we are going to get variations of the same lists!

Last edited:
Deb Burhinus

Ps I have a feeling for those of us in the UK we are going to get variations of the same lists!

There will be some common species that everyone gets in/over their gardens but their will be some regional variation too (practically no chance of a Nuthhatch for me - though I did see a White Tailed Eagle today while out locally that would possibly have been just visible from home). A lot depends on what sort of habitat you have - can be done from a car, or on foot too, which opens up other possibilities.

Last edited:
I tried this a few times during an hour spent watching our feeders at the back, but wasn't very successful, never getting more than 6 species at a time, mostly 4 or 5.

The first six were:
- Siskin
- Coal Tit
- Marsh Tit
- Great Tit
- Greenfinch
- Blackbird

The second time I got:
- Siskin,
- Great Tit
- Coal Tit
- Marsh Tit
- Collared Dove
- Magpie

All the other times I got the mix of the above, plus Blue Tit and once a Hawfinch

Similar sort of numbers that I tend to get - though time of day/weather does seem to have an effect. Worth sticking with it - mostly you will tend to get variations on the commoner stuff but I think there's plenty of surprises to be had.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back