• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (12 Viewers)

I had a decent look around today, covering the Nigg Bay area in the morning and the Ness in the afternoon.

The morning was fairly productive. At least three Chiffchaffs were present along the railway embankment, with two singing intermittently. A couple of these were together by the Tullos Burn, feeding close to the water. A bigger surprise was a White Wagtail among a flock of migrating Pied Wagtails. Quite an early date. 14 Teal was a decent count and there were also two Goldcrests and a Lapwing. Ravens are now almost expected here and I had very good views of a pair as they flew over the railway line from Tullos Hill, tumbling their way over the tower blocks on the south side of Torry.

Things were quiet around the Ness. A female Stonechat was on the north bank and a Goldcrest was in the allotments.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_210320a.jpg
    Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_210320a.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 35
  • Raven_Girdle Ness_210320a.jpg
    Raven_Girdle Ness_210320a.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Raven_Girdle Ness_210320b.jpg
    Raven_Girdle Ness_210320b.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Lesser Black-backed Gull_Girdle Ness_210320a.jpg
    Lesser Black-backed Gull_Girdle Ness_210320a.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 23
Fairly quiet here today in Torry, although lots of punters were wandering about the Ness. The dolphins put on a good show, at least. 213 Purple Sandpipers were roosting. I was interested to see a ring on this Redshank, but it's not quite clear enough to read.

Attachments

• Redshank_Girdle Ness_220320a.jpg
    Redshank_Girdle Ness_220320a.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Redshank_Girdle Ness_220320b.jpg
    Redshank_Girdle Ness_220320b.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 38
I had some enjoyable government-approved exercise late afternoon. Two Goldcrests were hints of migration. My first Dunlin of the year was on the breakwater. The best was an Otter, seen well on the rocks in Greyhope Bay before swimming out to sea.

Today's healthy exercise was a morning stroll around Nigg Bay, in calmer conditions than we've had for a while. Quite a lot was singing, including three Chiffchaffs (with another also seen). Other stuff included six Teal, a Snipe, the pair of Lapwing and two pairs of Bullfinches. There seem to be quite large numbers of both Blackbirds and Chaffinches around at the moment, probably a mix of breeding birds and migrants.

Here's a Coal Tit, another species that's seen quite routinely here these days that used to be less common.

Attachments

• Coal Tit_250320a.jpg
    Coal Tit_250320a.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 22
This morning's constitutional took me around Nigg Bay again, in fairly pleasant, calm weather. It was mostly a fairly familiar selection of stuff including four Teal, three Snipe, a Lapwing, two Chiffchaffs and a pair of Bullfinches. A Kestrel over Tullos Hill was my first of the year. Two Redwings were signs of some migration. A few plump looking Toads were along the edges of the paths.

As I was going back to Torry I bumped into a Siberian Chiffchaff once again, in the bushes just north of the marsh. It disappeared off into plantation and I only managed a bad picture.

Attachments

• Redwing_Girdle Ness_270320a.jpg
    Redwing_Girdle Ness_270320a.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Toad_Girdle Ness_270320a.jpg
    Toad_Girdle Ness_270320a.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_270320a.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_270320a.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 35
I had a fairly lengthy wander round this morning, in chilly weather with strong winds and regular, boisterous showers. It was a proper old-school wander too, as I visited both the Ness and Nigg Bay wetlands. Despite the difficult weather, it was pretty successful with 60 species recorded.

Nigg Bay held a selection of the usual suspects: four Teal, a Snipe, three Chiffchaffs, a pair of Lapwings and a calling Water Rail. A Raven cruised over Tullos Hill and the pair of Stock Doves reappeared there after a few weeks' absence.

The Ness was hard work in the wind but quite a few commoner seabirds were moving offshore. Among them was a drake Long-tailed Duck. An odd sighting was of a Rook coming in off the sea.

Another windy day in Torry. I covered the same areas as yesterday but in the opposite order. This probably wasn't a great strategy, as I saw a lot less. A Buzzard going north over the harbour was my first locally of the year. Around Nigg Bay there were four Teal, a Snipe and the pair of Lapwing. The highlight was a patch-record-obliterating flock of six Stock Doves on Tullos Hill. Quite remarkable. A Fox, clearly with cubs somewhere, was again prowling around the bowling green on Victoria Road.

Attachments

• Stock Dove_Girdle Ness_290320a.jpg
    Stock Dove_Girdle Ness_290320a.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Fox_Torry_290320a.jpg
    Fox_Torry_290320a.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 39
I've been out everyday this week but haven't seen much of note in the often windy conditions. There was a noticeable influx of gulls (mainly Herring) through the middle of the week but I couldn't find any more unusual species among them.

This morning was pretty pleasant, though a bit cold. There was a good selection of stuff about including three Teal, six Snipe, the pair of Lapwing, four singing Chiffchaffs and a Goldcrest. Kestrels have been conspicuous lately, mainly around Tullos Hill, but this male came down into the tree plantings in Nigg Bay to give some good views as it hovered.

Attachments

• Kestrel_Girdle Ness_030420a.jpg
    Kestrel_Girdle Ness_030420a.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Kestrel_Girdle Ness_030420b.jpg
    Kestrel_Girdle Ness_030420b.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 26
The weather was a bit milder today with a more southerly wind. I was hoping a few more summer migrants might have arrived but there was nothing particularly new in. Around Nigg Bay there 10 Teal, two Snipe, the pair of Lapwing, a pair of Stock Doves and four singing Chiffchaffs. Another Chiffchaff was in Torry.

The best bird was a rather distant Merlin, seen flying over the harbour and then up the Dee.

An interesting day in Torry, with brisk southeasterly winds and hazy sunshine. The best area was the plantation just north of the Nigg Bay marsh. Here I found two Siberian Chiffchaffs together, which showed quite well at various times. One was very strikingly worn looking, which is supposedly a good characteristic of tristis at this time of the year as they moult later than Common Chiffchaff. The other bird was a bit more typical looking.

In the same area there were two Redpolls. I didn't see these well enough to determine which kind of Redpoll but they looked on the pale side. Also around were eight Teal, seven Snipe, two Bullfinches, five Common Chiffchaffs, a Buzzard and a Goldcrest.

A wander round the Ness didn't produce too much, although 231 Purple Sandpipers were roosting and six Common Scoter went south. I was surprised not to find any new summer migrants, although others saw Sand Martin and Swallow today.

Attachments

• Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_050420b.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_050420b.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_050420a.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_050420a.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 48
Today was breezy and sunny but it was generally quite mild. The warm air gave some hope of summer migrants and I soon picked up a Swallow dashing over the edge of Greyhope Bay before heading off around the Battery. Presumably the same bird then reappeared around the Coo. As it seemed to be hanging around the regular breeding sites, I suppose it might be a local bird returning to breed.

A smashing male Wheatear was on the edge of the golf course near Greyhope Bay. Then a Sand Martin was noticed, flying high up over the mouth of the harbour. 204 Purple Sandpipers were roosting.

Things were relatively quiet otherwise. Nigg Bay held three Teal, two Snipe, a Lapwing and a group of four Bullfinches. A smart male Lesser Redpoll was seen quite well.

All good stuff, although Mark did better later in the day. Sadly it didn't swing north over the harbour, otherwise it would have been visible from my flat!

Attachments

• Swallow_Girdle Ness_060420a.jpg
    Swallow_Girdle Ness_060420a.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Wheatear_Girdle Ness_060420a.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_060420a.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Lesser Redpoll_Girdle Ness_060420a.jpg
    Lesser Redpoll_Girdle Ness_060420a.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 22
By the way, regular readers of this thread may be interested in this article by Mark, about some events that took place here four years ago:
https://lewissparky.wixsite.com/website/spotted-crakes
For obvious reasons, these weren't mentioned on the thread at the time, but it was certainly one of the more interesting things to happen here. Here are some of my pictures from back then.

Attachments

• Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_150516a.jpg
    Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_150516a.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_150516b.jpg
    Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_150516b.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_150516c.jpg
    Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_150516c.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_150516d.jpg
    Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_150516d.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 43
  • Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_220516a.jpg
    Spotted Crake_Girdle Ness_220516a.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for posting that link Andrew... how interesting that was to read.

You had pretty good views of him, didn't you.

By the way, regular readers of this thread may be interested in this article by Mark, about some events that took place here four years ago:
https://lewissparky.wixsite.com/website/spotted-crakes
For obvious reasons, these weren't mentioned on the thread at the time, but it was certainly one of the more interesting things to happen here. Here are some of my pictures from back then.

Remember that summer well.As well as seeing the Spotted Crake,I was also met with some very strange looks from the local dog walkers,who wondered what I was doing,hanging around the Pond,at strange times of the morning/evening..! Fantastic photos,Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back