• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Africa - year list record (1 Viewer)

Now back in Tanzania (Pemba actually).

The Ghana leg looks as though it was a success, 419 species (Clements) recorded, over 800 now for their African adventure. Not sure of any misses.

I assume that Ross, being as well researched as usual, will be aware of the 'East Africa tourist visa'?

This allows unlimited, back and forth travel between Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya, thus removing the need for separate visas for each country. It's easy to get, $100 prepaid so no need for cach at the point of delivery.

Last edited:
I assume that Ross, being as well researched as usual, will be aware of the 'East Africa tourist visa'?

This allows unlimited, back and forth travel between Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya, thus removing the need for separate visas for each country. It's easy to get, $100 prepaid so no need for cach at the point of delivery.

I think this is the least of their problems.

It appears that Kenya is not accepting anybody in who is a national of a COVID19 infected country, unless they go straight into isolation. Not sure of the situation elsewhere. I know that they are currently in Tanzania, and continuing to see an impressive list of species, but what happens when they try and cross the next border is anyone's guess.

On the subject of birding, Ross is almost at 6,700 life list on Clements (so will be well past that on IOC), the current African Year list has passed 900 and increasing day on day.

They are indeed a bit stuck in Tanzania. The good thing is that they planned to to 3+ weeks of birding until beginning of April anyway, and have planned an additional 10 days - 2 weeks on the way back from the North. So they will use the second period now as Kenya doesn't allow them (easily) - and neither does Rwanda, and hope the situation will improve in some weeks.

I fear it will only get worse as Africa is the most internationally isolated of all continents, and thus the virus will probably only be at its peak some weeks later than in e.g. Europe and N-America.

Dear All,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but on their Blog (in a reply to their latest post) Melissa stated that they are sadly having to fly home due to the Covid 19 lockdowns that are occurring all over Africa

Ian:-C

The latest comment by Melissa is that they are in Dar now (27/3) and waiting for their flight later today .... assuming it hasn't been cancelled.

Their intention is to return.

They must be absolutely gutted, I know I would be.

They appear to be taking it their stride. But what else can you do.

They say they have seen 1004 species, which is an amazing effort in less than 3 months.

To put this in perspective, the Vagrant Twitcher 'record' didn't reach 1000 until August. I have looked at his list and some of the species listed are not accepted in IOC v10.1. I have also tried to follow Ross and Melissa, and although eBird 'only' has them on 984, there are additional species on IOC - my rough IOC list is 994 - so 10 missing.

The only positive I can think of is that they were heading into the 'big rains', which could have made travel very interesting in the next couple of months - I remember struggling to do 30km in 12 hours in Tanzania during the small rains (in a 4x4)

They appear to be taking it their stride. But what else can you do.

They say they have seen 1004 species, which is an amazing effort in less than 3 months.

To put this in perspective, the Vagrant Twitcher 'record' didn't reach 1000 until August. I have looked at his list and some of the species listed are not accepted in IOC v10.1. I have also tried to follow Ross and Melissa, and although eBird 'only' has them on 984, there are additional species on IOC - my rough IOC list is 994 - so 10 missing.

The only positive I can think of is that they were heading into the 'big rains', which could have made travel very interesting in the next couple of months - I remember struggling to do 30km in 12 hours in Tanzania during the small rains (in a 4x4)

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words and following along. Yes, more than a bit gutted at the moment that we had to put our trip on hold. We tried to hold off for as long as possible, but most African countries have gone into lockdown and we didn't want to get stuck in some little town for 1,2,3 months!

Hopefully (probably optimistic), once things calm down, we can return in a few months. We still own a truck that's parked in Dar es Salaam so I will at least have to return at some point to drive it back to South Africa to sell. If we can get back by the end of July, I think we could still finish the itinerary except for Gabon/ST&P.

As mentioned, the year list should be at 1004ish. Ebird only has 984 because there's some gaps. I always forget some species here and there and just need to take some time over the next few days to go back and clean up some lists. So 1004 will be Clements. Not sure what IOC is and on top of that we were targeting a lot of ssp that aren't split yet, but surely will be at some point.

I agree, the "big rains" in Tanzania were causing some major issues and had essentially made "remote tanzania" off limits (I almost lost the truck off a cliff driving up to the Uluguru Bushshrike spot!). Right before COVID became an issue we figured we'd leave Tanzania early (move on to Kenya) and then do the remote section later on when we swung back through. But that idea lasted about 2 days and then Kenya shut down their borders!

It was a lot of fun while it lasted. A bit unfortunate that we won't be able to crush the big year record, but I'll still be happy if we can get back to at least clean up most of east Africa.

Will keep everyone updated and between now and then there's still a number of blog posts that need to be posted so keep checking/subscribe to the blog if you're interested!

Best,

Ross

As mentioned, the year list should be at 1004ish. Ebird only has 984 because there's some gaps. I always forget some species here and there and just need to take some time over the next few days to go back and clean up some lists. So 1004 will be Clements. Not sure what IOC is and on top of that we were targeting a lot of ssp that aren't split yet, but surely will be at some point.

I see that eBird is now showing 1004 as predicted. By rough tracker has you on 1015 for IOC, but no doubt some missing. I think if you had gone further north, the difference would have increased.

After last year's adventure, Ross and Melissa are heading back to Africa for six months. Ross lands on 29th March in SA and heads back to Tanzania almost exactly a year after they left. It will be interesting to see how they get on.

Blimey....guess that's why their covid number is approaching 30 million....🙄
It had something to do with incompetent governing. Now that we have someone who follows the science, you also need a test to get back into the US.

But a lot of states in the US are not specifically following the science either. There are many places in the US I would not travel due to incompetent Covid policies.

Melissa & Ross have arrived back in Africa. Both are now in Tanzania, Ross having travelled via South Africa. Will need an update to see if they have still got their truck. Modest numbers of species so far but all can see their progress bus the eBird checklists.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back