• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Common Goldeneyes with Group of Male/Female Greater Scaups? (1 Viewer)

dannykun

Hey there!

I'm new to birding, so there are still many basics I don't know yet. So bear with me if I'm missing some obvious stuff.

Yesterday, I was out at a seaside park in Fukuoka (which in south-west Japan). I saw a big flock of ducks off the coast (maybe 100 or so) and identified them to be mostly greater scaups. Among them though, I saw two very different types of females: one was clearly greater scaups, but the other looked like female common goldeneyes (in particular, there was no white at the base of the bill). However, there wasn't a single male common goldeneye to be found. I was surprised by this distribution... Is this a common behavior for female ducks to group up with males/females of another duck species but with no males of their own species? Alternatively, is it more likely that I've misidentified winter->summer transitioning plumage of female greater scaups as a female common goldeneye?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Danny

A first winter male would resemble an adult female in terms of plumage but with a much reduced or no white patch at the base of the bill.

The bill size and shape is different between the two species.

No worries. Sorry, perhaps I should have explained the term but at least it gave you the chance for a bit of research!

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back