• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Armenia: buzzards and wheatear (1 Viewer)

Egretta

Belgium
Hello,

the following pictures were all taken in Armenia, late may to early june.
I was hoping someone could confirm my identifications, or point out any mistakes I made.

Thanks, Niels

1+2: the same bird: Common or Long-legged Buzzard? I was leaning more towards long-legged myself but I am not sure at all (no experience with the species)
3+4: the same bird: take at the same location as the previous pictures, but it was a different individual. I am pretty sure this is a Common Buzzard. Would this be ssp. vulpinus in Armenia?

Attachments

• _D5D0863.jpg
    _D5D0863.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 139
  • _D5D0864.jpg
    _D5D0864.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 130
  • steppebuizerd (2).jpg
    steppebuizerd (2).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 133
  • steppebuizerd.jpg
    steppebuizerd.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 96
5,6 and 7: I believe this is a Long-legged Buzzard, I hope that is correct, it would be a lifer!

8-9: my first thought was Finsch's Wheatear, but the white at the shoulder made me doubt it. Is it an (Eastern) Black-eared Wheatear?

Attachments

• _D5D8167.jpg
    _D5D8167.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 122
  • _D5D8178.jpg
    _D5D8178.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 104
  • _D5D8197.jpg
    _D5D8197.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 92
  • finsch' tapuit (1).jpg
    finsch' tapuit (1).jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 112
  • finsch' tapuit (2).jpg
    finsch' tapuit (2).jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 126
Thanks for your answers!

For the wheatear: is it correct that the white shoulder is a good feature to ditinguish it from Finsch'?

For the Buzzard: I had never before seen a Steppe Buzzard, nor a Long-legged Buzzard. The buzzards I see in Belgium look a lot like the ones in pictures 3 and 4, and I would not be able to distinguish it from the nominate. Any clues there on how to do it? Are the other ones a more rufous form of the Steppe Buzzard? I don't think I have ever seen one with that colour in Belgium.
Apart from size and shape, are there any marks in the plumage to tell it apart from the Long-legged Buzzard?

Thanks for your answers!

For the wheatear: is it correct that the white shoulder is a good feature to ditinguish it from Finsch'?

Apart from size and shape, are there any marks in the plumage to tell it apart from the Long-legged Buzzard?

Wheatear : Yes, the black is continuous from head to wing. There's also the tail pattern.

Buzzard : The red tail with a dark terminal bar is diagnostic from the Steppe Buzzard.
Jean

I think the Wheatear is melanoleuca as on the outer tail feather the black goes up the outer web. Pleschanka has this too, but it has a black back. The black of the head does not connect with the black of the wings.

#1-2 show an adult Long-legged Buzzard, since it has no dark tail band.
#3-7 technically do not show Steppe Buzzard but the local subspecies of Common Buzzard, B. b. menetriesi (Caucasian Buzzard).

#1-2 show an adult Long-legged Buzzard, since it has no dark tail band.
#3-7 technically do not show Steppe Buzzard but the local subspecies of Common Buzzard, B. b. menetriesi (Caucasian Buzzard).

Just to say smiths is right as usual, lacking concentration these times

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back