• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tits, Robins, Starlings and Great Tits nesting1 (1 Viewer)

david2004

It's pretty early but I've already got Blue and Great Tits, Robins and Starlings nesting in my nestboxes! I'm so excited!

The Blue Tits started building the nest on the 26th March, a full month earlier than they did last year (using same box in the back garden). I think egg laying is underway now. Great Tits nested in the Starling nestbox last year, but Starlings are using it this year! The Great Tits started nesting today, taking material into a different box but then taking it back out!

Robins were nesting on the ground in a brush pile which was worrying as there are loads of cats around. I think they've moved, as a diamond shaped open box has got loads of moss and twigs sticking out the entrance, and I've seen Robins coming from that wall quite a lot. I hope they're nesting too, as it's been about ten years since they last nested in something I provided (a flower pot!)

Today a few House Martins returned, so if they nest in one of my nestcups this year, I'll have the full set!

The Robins who built their nest in my childrens wooden wendy house have successfully hatched some chicks,Mum and Dad are in and out with the mealworms i have been putting out for them and i am on constant watch for predators and my children aren't too upset about having to stay away from their toys for a few more weeks!!Blue tits have definately taken up residence in two of my boxes which have been used for the last two years so its all looking good..

Hi Masey I too have great tits interested in my nest box in the garden . But they are acting like woodpeckers trying to make the entrance hole bigger! They are managing to get in & out but I wondered if I could make the hole bigger for them? OR maybe I should leave well alone! Also can I put out any special food for them to help them along the breeding process?
Thanks Beth

But they are acting like woodpeckers trying to make the entrance hole bigger! They are managing to get in & out but I wondered if I could make the hole bigger for them? OR maybe I should leave well alone! Also can I put out any special food for them to help them along the breeding process?
Thanks Beth

You have found an old thread, but heres some answers. Leave them to get on with the widening of the hole, it is like "this is our house and this is how we want it". If they see you tampering with it they may just abandon it altogether.

As for food, mealworms go down a treat. Peanuts are a no as they can choke the little ones [unless you bash the peanuts into really small bits. If you have any caterpillars in the garden try to leave them and not spray as they are good food for the little ones as well.

thanks Marmot, Silly me-I see now I questioned an old thread (2007!)
I'm new to this forum & am having trouble navigating around it!!!
Cheers Beth ...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back