• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coate Water Country Park, Wiltshire (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

AM i correct in hearing that this is a good spot to try for ruddy shelduck?

They very hard to get in NE area.

Was planning a trip to see cirl bunting, so thought this might be an ideal addition to the trip )

AM i correct in hearing that this is a good spot to try for ruddy shelduck?

They very hard to get in NE area.

Was planning a trip to see cirl bunting, so thought this might be an ideal addition to the trip )

Did you call in? It's a very easy diversion off the motorway if you're heading to Devon...

i dont drive. I megabused to somerset!

got cirl bunting a possible RS at cvl. CUrrently involved in a discussion about a pair of birds seen there....one was a hybrid the other probably wasnt, but the pics are being witheld for some reason....trying to get to the bottomn of it. As i know from my own family, folk in the sw can be very pigheaded at times; 60% of my genes are northern tho :p

There are currently a pair of ruddy shelduck at slimbridge. The pair at chew valley lake were originally at slimbridge but were described as hybrids. The current birds at slimbridge are the real deal. I saw the chew birds today after seeing the blue winged teal. The chew birds look nothing like the current slimbridge birds.

`Is this based on your own experience or just a bigotted mind`

40 years of experience. Been visiting somerset x2 a year since i was 6months old. As my dad is from somerset farming stock, I feel completly qualified to say what folk are like in deepest darkest somerset. Cant say its just my mental family either, seen the same behaviour in lots of folk from the area.

IF the birds at chew are still there, could someone put up some pics of BOTH birds plz? From memory there was quite a differnce between them.

Last edited:
Shows how little you really know about Somerset
Two visits a year! Perhaps if you lived there then you would be qualified.
It would be interesting to see what your Dad thinks of your opinion.

`It would be interesting to see what your Dad thinks of your opinion.`

Am quite sure he would agree with me that somerset folk can be funny(peculiar).

And what qualifies you to be a judge on this matter? As you live nowhere near the place!

Woodhornbirder.

If I was really honest even I would agree that some Somerset folk can be funny, but perhaps that can be said about most places?

I don't live their right now but have spent most of my life there and hopefully in the next couple of years I will go home. (Not that the fine people of Staffordshire are funny in any way.)

regards
Merlin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back