• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which sub-$300 8x42 to try next? (1 Viewer)

kflan22

Well, I'm down two pairs of vehicle bins after letting a couple pairs to go to elder relatives for their upcoming hunting trip. They were my beloved Carson ED and a newer Elite L series that I got on the cheap.

So, my stable is down to the following:

6x30 kowa
8x25 prostaff atb
8x32 mojave
8x42--??? (cheapish, rough & tumble, do-it-all, daily driver, etc)
8.5x43 brunton epoch
8.5x45 weaver super slam

I'm thinking Athlon Midas, Celestron Trailseeker, new EO Ranger, or Alpen Apex for choices to start. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Yes, I'm more excited to try a new pair than I am dissapointed to let the Carson's go. Just don't tell my wife I said that.

Just ordered Athlon Midas 8x42. Should be here by Wednesday. I'll have a quick initial report and then follow up.

Just ordered Athlon Midas 8x42. Should be here by Wednesday. I'll have a quick initial report and then follow up.

I would really like to hear what you think of the Midas. I'm thinking if its similar to my Carson ED but with a larger FOV, it could be at the top of the heap at this price point.

Alan,

No, I did not. I have actually been sitting on a few Athlon products that were sent for review. I plan on putting together reviews for each of them over the next month. I will start with the Midas as it is my favorite out of the group.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back