• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"diagnosis not seen" for genus names in the Key A through S (4 Viewers)

Trudy St.-Petersb. Obschtsch. Estest (zool)
Rupicola Bogdanov 1881: 12 (1), p.99
Sylvicola Bogdanov 1881: 12, p.99

attached.

(NB:
Travaux de la Société impériale des naturalistes de Pétrograd
Cyanositta Buturlin 1916: 44 (2); p.149
Actositta Buturlin 1916: 44 (2); pp.151, 156, 168
Homositta Buturlin 1916: 44 (2); pp.152, 156, 169
Leptositta Buturlin 1916: 44 (2); pp.153, 156, 169

This is actually the same journal, here listed under its French title, and from a time when St-Petersburg had been renamed Petrograd. (Still later, the Society ceased to be 'Imperial', and Petrograd became Leningrad.) I don't find it online. The full original reference of the paper appears to be:
Бутурлин СА. 1916. Краткий обзор семейства поползней (Sittidae). [A short review of nuthatches (Family Sittidae).] Труды Императорскаго Петроградскаго Общества Естествоиспытателей [Travaux de la Société impériale des naturalistes de Pétrograd], 44: 145-173.​
"Actositta" should read Arctositta. In this work are also introduced Poecilositta, Mesositta (the Richmond Index has this name as Melositta, but this seems to be wrong), and Micrositta. As well as, it seems, the subfamily names Cyanosittinae and Daphaenosittinae.)

Attachments

• Bogdanov-1881.pdf
    194.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
The full original reference of the paper appears to be:
Бутурлин СА. 1916. Краткий обзор семейства поползней (Sittidae). [A short review of nuthatches (Family Sittidae).] Труды Императорскаго Петроградскаго Общества Естествоиспытателей [Travaux de la Société impériale des naturalistes de Pétrograd], 44: 145-173.
Alt. Труды императорского петроградского общества естествоиспытателей (like here)

But ... No. 46 seems to be from 1915 ...!? Others have No. 44 (the one missing) listed as "Т.44-45, 1913-1914".

If relevant?

Onychospiza
(syn. Onychostruthus Ϯ White-rumped Snowfinch O. taczanowskii) Gr. ονυξ onux, ονυχος onukhos nail, claw; σπιζα spiza finch < σπιζω spizō to chirp. Diagnosis not yet seen (Przhevalsky 1876, Mongholiya i strana Tanghutov trekhyletnee puteshestvie v vostochnoi naghornoi Azii, II, (Aves), 81). Var. Onchospiza.

"Onychospiza, nov. gen." ... seen, found, on p.81 here!

Also see "Tab. XI" (end of book) ... alt. attached thumbnail, below.

Enjoy!

Björn
-

Attachments

• Tab. XI.jpg
    Tab. XI.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I want to thank Laurent for the hard and tedius work of getting info out of google books. I usually give up. The large expanse of text in Heuglinornis is amazing. Thanks to Björn for Onychospiza how did the rest of us miss this? Looking at the tabs this volume also has the OD of Urocynchramus nov. gen. on page 99.
Earlier Laurent linked two cites with this here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3485141 .

Vertikal'noe i ghorizontal'noe raspredyelenie Turkestanskikh Zhivotnuikh
[Северцов Николай Алексеевич Вертикальное и горизонтальное распределение Туркестанских животных, 1873]
Atraphornis Severtzov 1873: p. 65 = here
I do not understand how this name can be a synonym of Scotocerca, as the Key suggests currently. (This may have been borrowed from the Peters' Check-list, where a fixation by original designation is claimed?)

The name was used without any comment by Severtsov on p.65 of his work, for a single species, Atraphornis aralensis Eversmann; the main text is actually on p.124. (A French translation of Severtsov's work, by L. Olphe-Galliard, was published in 1887 in the Hungarian (German-language) journal Zeitschrift für die gesammte Ornithologie: the translation of the relevant passage is [here]. H.E. Dresser also commented this work in 1876 in Ibis: the relevant passage is [here].)

On p.124, Severtsov included two species in Atraphornis, A. aralensis and A. platyura. The first one was a recombination of Salicaria aralensis Eversmann 1850 [OD] (see also fig. 1 on [plate 8]), which is a synonym of Curruca nana Hemprich & Ehrenberg 1833 (Desert Warbler). The second was a new species, and according to Dresser 1876 would be a synonym of Malurus inquietus Cretzschmar 1827 (Scrub Warbler).
I see nothing looking remotely like a designation of the second species in Severtsov's text. Salicaria aralensis is not designated either, but the generic name is explained within the account covering that species, and it is that species that is said to inhabit arid steppes with bushes of Atraphaxis, thus it is 'for' that species that the name was coined.
The first subsequent type designation, I believe, was by Sharpe in 1875 [here], who designated aralensis.

Thus (unless I'm overlooking something crucial), it seems this name should be a synonym of Sylvia.

Last edited:
Atraphornis
I appreciate your input here, Laurent. You are correct re the basis of the type given in the Key (i.e. Watson in Peters, XI, p. 125:"Type, by original designation, Atraphornis platyura Severtsov." = Scotocerca inquieta platyura). However, since Severtsov did not designate a type species (at least not in the French and English translations/commentaries), we must turn to Sharpe and accept that Atraphornis is a synonym of Sylvia, with type Atraphornis aralensis = Sylvia nana.

Hartertula

At least parts from here:

Hartertula nov. genus Timeliidarum. Das Zoolog. Museum Berlin erwarb vor kurzem von der Naturalienhandlung Fritsche in Bremerhaven 3 Exemplare der Neomixis flavoviridis, welche vor Jahresfrist von Hartert nach einem Exemplar aus Analama- zastra, Madagaskar beschrieben worden ist. (Bull. B. O. Club 45, 1924, p. 35). Diese Stücke wurden im Januar 1925 in Lakata, Ost-Madagaskar, erbeutet. Flügel „cf" 52—54, „9" 54 mm. Die neue Art weicht durch ihren...

Even if the full OD is still unseen ... as Stresemann clearly refer to BBOC "45, 1924, p.35" (here), there´s no doubt the guy in Hartertula (1925) is the well-known Ernst Hartert.

If anyone (contrary to expectation) had any hesitation ... ;)

Björn
--

Last edited:
Notice sur Les Travaux Scientifiques
Chlorostola Simon 1918: p.39
Chloropogon Simon 1918: p.39
Coeliola Simon 1918: p.39

The title/sub-title/heading of this "unseen" paper is probably Notice sur les travaux scientifiques de M. Eugène Simon, (correspondant de l' Académie des Sciences. Paris), most likely found in La Géographie : bulletin de la Société de géographie 32 (No.4), by M. Villain et M. Bar, 1918.

However; also "unseen" by me.

If of any use?

Björn
--

Last edited:
Siphia
(syn. Ficedula Ϯ Rufous-gorgetted Flycatcher F. strophiata) Nepalese name Siphya for the Rufous-gorgetted Flycatcher (see Dimorpha). Diagnosis not yet seen (Hodgson 1837, The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts, 1 (12), 651).
Seen here ... alt. here (added to BHL 01/25/2017).
--

Last edited:
Today's HBW Alive Key also have the following entry:
CINCLUS
[...]
● (syn. Calidris Ϯ Dunlin C. alpina) "HALVE SNEP, LOOPERTJE, in 't Lat. Cinclus.* [RAY. Syn. Av. p. 110]" (Moehring 1758); "L'ALOUETTE-DE-MER. ... CINCLUS" (Brisson 1760): ex "Cinclus" of Gessner 1555, "Schoeniclus" of Aldrovandus 1599-1603, "Junco" of Charleton 1668, "Ox-eye" of Ray 1713, and other references. The "Ox-eye" of Ray is certainly the Dunlin. Cinclus Anon., 1804 (Allgemeine Lit.-Zeitung, II (no. 168), col. 542 (OD not seen)) also seems to be a Calidris sandpiper.
[...]
= seen here
--

Last edited:
Not sure is it is completely right in this thread, but as per key:

Chionogaster
(syn. Amazilia Ϯ White-bellied Hummingbird A. chionogaster) Specific name Trochilus chionogaster von Tschudi, 1844. Diagnosis not yet verified; perhaps only a specific name.

Here Tschudi wrote:

Da der Name Tr. leucogaster schon für einen anderen Colibri angewendet wurde, so haben wir denselben in chionogaster umgeändert.

So Tschudi described the hummer here as Tr. leucogaster and realized that the name was already occupied by Amazilia leucogaster (Gmelin, JF, 1788). Therfore he used a new name. I do not see Chionogaster as genus but maybe someone else created this genus based on this species.

Note: As I have no clue where the name derived from there is also White-breasted Hawk
Accipiter chionogaster (Kaup, 1852).

Last edited:
Accipiter chionogaster (Kaup, 1852).
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/96443#page/65/mode/1up .
Zoonomen: Accipiter erythronemius Citation
Kaup described this as: "Nisus vel Acc. erythronemius"
vel means "or" in Latin.
This makes me somewhat uncertain as to whether the author's name should be in parentheses, though most works print it so.
A similar case is Accipiter chionogaster described by Kaup as:
"Nisus (seu Accipiter) chionogaster"
seu is a complex and subtle Latin conjunction meaning essentially "or if".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back