• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to Use Bird Photo Booth 2.0? (1 Viewer)

tyger2020

Hello,

I recently purchased the Bird Photo Booth 2.0 and have used it to take some pictures...however, I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice on how to take extremely sharp pictures with the feeder setup and motion-activated camera...

I have the BirdPhotoBooth camera and feeder and have tried using motion-activated and remote controlled from an iPhone. Would you recommend using the top lens or the bottom lens, and at what distance from the camera should the food bowl be?

When I used the top lens, the bird appeared very small in the foreground (dwarfed by the background). When I used the bottom lens, the bird was slightly larger given the position of the feeder bowl but it appeared out of focus. The background was in focus.

Do you know what could be causing these issues and how I might fix them? Here is an example (from Ostdrossel on Tumblr) of how I ideally might envision my pictures: https://ostdrossel.tumblr.com/post/157709689204/the-winter-came-back-today-it-was-too-windy-so-i

Thank you!!

Hi tyger and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Camera Forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily. I'm sure someone will be along to help you with your questions.

Photo Booth 2.0

Hello Tyger2020, I see you've not gotten much response on your Photo Booth set up. I'm guessing most of the people here wouldn't look at this equipment as up to their quality standards. I've had one in action for about a week now and can share what I'm doing. Though given you've been at this a couple of months you are likely way past what I'm doing.

I downloaded the Android app but gave up on it rather quickly after reading the comments. I got the photo booth camera's WiFi up and my phone connected to it successfully but when the app came up it just spun and never found the camera.

That left me with no remote access so I turn the camera on, make sure motion detector is on, put it in place in the photo booth/feeder and come back 3 hours later (battery only lasts about 2.5 hours in my experience to retrieve the camera to be connected to a computer in the house to see what I caught :)

My biggest problem was lighting. I've mounted on the north side of my house with the suction cups on a window. It never gets sun there but the bright snow covered yard behind left the birds in a dark shadow. I just rectified that yesterday by moving the booth onto a tripod and about 10 feet from the house so it was out in the late afternoon sun. Below are some samples.

As for which lens to use. The instructions that came with mine said to always use the top lens so that's all I've used. I set the shelf up high to line up with the top lens, get the camera turned on and slip it over the rail and into position and tighten with the clamp. The motion detection is on so it's usually firing madly during this process.

The last thing I'll mention is I seem to always get 10 rapid fire shoots whenever it detects motion. There is a setting on the menu that lets you specify how many shots with 10 the most. I have that set to '1' yet it fires 10 each time.

Works well enough if the bird stays in place you can end up with several different shots of the bird.

Hope you are doing well with yours and if you are then maybe this can help someone who comes along.

Here are a few samples:

https://goo.gl/photos/AJk9jNm9QZZFmdoM9
https://goo.gl/photos/mL5aru8nem7grZmF6
https://goo.gl/photos/Q6R9dU2zAii6LN5x8

Zoot

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back