• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x60? (1 Viewer)

Binastro

On the Antiques Road Show last night from the Isle of Wight, about 48 minutes from the start, two people had the same marine binoculars, I think made in the 1940s.
I thought maybe Zeiss 8x60?

One lady thought £50?, the man £200.
The valuer said £350 and the view was still very good.
I think they are maybe worth considerably more, but it depends on condition.

The Isle of Wight seems a likely place to have these.

BBC 1 i-player maybe.

P.S.
In the film 'The Light between the Oceans', set in 1920s Australia, the lighthouse keeper uses a field glass, about 5x I think. Possible, but prismatic binoculars were available, although the field glass would be bright.

Last edited:
On the Antiques Road Show last night from the Isle of Wight, about 48 minutes from the start, two people had the same marine binoculars, I think made in the 1940s.
I thought maybe Zeiss 8x60?

One lady thought £50?, the man £200.
The valuer said £350 and the view was still very good.
I think they are maybe worth considerably more, but it depends on condition.

The Isle of Wight seems a likely place to have these.

Think your sense of value is fully intact.
Last time I saw a good condition WW2 era Zeiss 8x60 on Ebay, it went for several thousand dollars.

However, perhaps the glass the ladies were getting evaluated was a more common Barr and Stroud RN unit. That would make the estimates much more reasonable.

Iv got a Leitz 8x60 Marocto IF made at the end of WW2..serial numbers as a late WW2 bin......in nice condition.....looks like single coated optics....very good view but big and heavy.....not sure the value of it in todays market....but think that a Zeiss of the same era and style would sell for more.....just because there are more Zeiss collectors.....

Hi etudiant,
Definitely not British binoculars.
The two visitors had both brought the same binoculars for valuation. They were standing side by side.

Possibly Leica, but I think Zeiss. Heavily built and rugged.
I thought maybe £2,000 each but I am no expert on these.

Much bigger than the Leitz 7x50 rubber covered binocular that I bought for £5 from a camera fair junk box. It had no name and I didn't know what it was till I got it home and pealed back the rubber to reveal the code.

It did give a good view, so I thought it was worth more than a fiver.

P.S.
I looked up the Leitz 8x60. Definitely not those.
Almost certain they were both Zeiss 8x60 or possibly a shadow factory version.
Was there a Czech copy? Or Emil Busch?
Probably £2,000 to £3,000 if in good condition.

Last edited:
Sorry, I made a mistake here.
During the T.V. programme I only got a fleeting look and thought they were the Zeiss 8x60.

I just now freeze framed the two binoculars, and they are Zeiss 7x50 Marine without a central hinge bar.
The valuer was nearer the mark.
If they are as good to look through as he says, maybe £600 to £800 value for each.
One is green and one brown colour.
The rubber on one is badly cracked, the other not so bad.
They have the hinged rubber eyecups.

Ah well, fleeting looks are not as good as a proper look.

Actually not that bigger than the Leitz 7x50 with rubber covers.

Antiques Roadshow

Sorry, I made a mistake here.
During the T.V. programme I only got a fleeting look and thought they were the Zeiss 8x60.

I just now freeze framed the two binoculars, and they are Zeiss 7x50 Marine without a central hinge bar.
The valuer was nearer the mark.
If they are as good to look through as he says, maybe £600 to £800 value for each.
One is green and one brown colour.
The rubber on one is badly cracked, the other not so bad.
They have the hinged rubber eyecups.

Ah well, fleeting looks are not as good as a proper look.

Actually not that bigger than the Leitz 7x50 with rubber covers.

The valuer did fleetingly refer to a possible three letter code which would identify the binoculars.
Without doubt, there will be a German three letter code on one of the top plates under the rubber.
A full list can be found here http://www.actionoptics.co.uk/german-ww2-codes.
I think every manufacturer in Germany during WWII was given their own unique code.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back