• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dating Asahi Pentax 10x50 (1 Viewer)

WJC

I am chided frequently for being such a binocular geek without being a collector or having miles of esoteric knowledge of production. This summer, I am going to try to get a few instruments on Eagle Bait and I need the help of those who are geekier than me ... if that’s possible. My Internet search hasn’t netted me much, but I would like the year of production for the following

Asahi Pentax 10x50
The OEM was J-B127, Koei Seiki Co. Ltd, Tokyo
Serial #: 5349386

It looks to be early to mid 70s with a JTII sticker attached.

But even if were from 1502, I will not be advertising it as ... “VINTAGE.” :cat:

Thanks,

Bill

PS What would this be worth in the EB Land?

1502 unlikely, as Asahi Pentax dates from 1938 onwards.

If single coated maybe 1960s or 1970s.

I hope it hasn't got the awful gold coloured eyepieces. the view through these is weird.

The case would add value if in good condition.

The EWAs are worth more than the standard FOV Pentaxes.

Last edited:
1502 unlikely, as Asahi Pentax dates from 1938 onwards.

If single coated maybe 1960s or 1970s.

I hope it hasn't got the awful gold coloured eyepieces. the view through these is weird.

The case would add value if in good condition.

The EWAs are worth more than the standard FOV Pentaxes.

No case but the eyelenses ARE gold coated. Although not to the degree I have seen in so many others. The natural color ... okay, COLOUR ... rendition is much better than some I have worked on. I will cover shipping in the US. What should I ask?

Bill

After a quick search it looks like the asking prices on the bay range from $25 to about $100 but they seem to sell only when the price was close to 25$.

After a quick search it looks like the asking prices on the bay range from $25 to about $100 but they seem to sell only when the price was close to 25$.

Hi, Peter:

Even though I’m just using this to reestablish myself before putting others on—I’m going to ask something more. Heck, my Mk32 sold for full-price over 3 months AFTER I did my best to pull the offer. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Having bought older binoculars on that site, what shows up on your doorstep is a crap shoot. If you can tell prospective bidders that the instrument has been cleaned, has no fungus, is properly collimated, etc., I would think you could get a good asking price.

Having bought older binoculars on that site, what shows up on your doorstep is a crap shoot. If you can tell prospective bidders that the instrument has been cleaned, has no fungus, is properly collimated, etc., I would think you could get a good asking price.

It's live, now.

Bill

Bought 3 bins off the Bay recently, 2 and nice and fine, one had been dropped.... sent it to the menders for a quick tweak, works fine. Old Porros are generally well built, though the straps and cases don’t seem to last so well.

PEterW

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back