• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isabelline Wheatear - Mozambique (1 Viewer)

safariranger

Can those who are more familiar with this species please comment on this being a possible Isabelline Wheatear. This is a very rare species for Southern Africa and would like to put the word out as soon as possible if it is in fact this species.

Thank you

Attachments

• Wheatear-RioSavane-25Dec12-IMG_0627-cp90.jpg
    Wheatear-RioSavane-25Dec12-IMG_0627-cp90.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Wheatear-RioSavane-25Dec12-IMG_0636-cp99.jpg
    Wheatear-RioSavane-25Dec12-IMG_0636-cp99.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 125
I'd be tempted to say it's an Isabelline. Unfortunately with only two 'less than perfect' pictures, it's hard to be 100% confident, for me at least. Some more images?

In favour of Isabelline:
- all white underwing, unfortunately only the axilliaries are well exposed and some Northern wheatear do show mostly white axilliaries too, nevertheless this looks good for IW
- pale sandy tones of plumage
- dark isolated alula (very strong pointer in favour of IW!) seemingly darker than the centre of the greater coverts
- seemingly reduced white patch on the rump/uppertail coverts (hard to assess though)
- very pale/silver inner webs of primaries (but beware of worn NW!)
- the legs look long and strong

2 things bother me:
- the bill looks smallish
- the structure on the second pic does not look typical for IW, but it's only a pic

Additionaly, the face pattern may cause some concern (or not) with some more images, but it seems to me that the supercilium doesn't extend behind the eye (or just marginally), which is good for IW.

Edit: forgot to mention the tail pattern...it could fit both species IMO. I would be interested to see what others think...

Last edited:
Hi Tib78,

Thank you for your detailed response. Unfortunately there is only one other photo and it is almost identical to the photo of the perched bird.
Other responses I have received thus far have also all indicated that this is a Isabelline Wheatear.
Regards

I think that the wings are way too pale to be Northern Wheatear. Isabelline Wheatear for me - note the darker tips to the primaries which I would expect to be same or paler on Northern.

Cheers

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back