• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian or Short-Toed Treecreeper, today, Germany, Saxony ( (1 Viewer)

ortolan10

Hello everybody
I am still struggling with treecreeper identification. Today the bird visited the feeder. I think it is a short-toed treecreeper, but I am not sure, because the white wing bar does not look like shown in my books. The eye-stripe is not as well pronounced as should be for Eurasian Treecreeper, which I posted a while ago. The upper mandible is dark, which should point to Short-Toed according to one of my books.
Please help to improve my identification skills!
Thank you very much in advance!
Ortolan10

Attachments

• Baumlaeufer1_small.JPG
    Baumlaeufer1_small.JPG
    622.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Baumlaeufer2_small.JPG
    Baumlaeufer2_small.JPG
    577 KB · Views: 184
  • Baumlaeufer3_small.JPG
    Baumlaeufer3_small.JPG
    576 KB · Views: 196
  • Baumlaeufer4_small.JPG
    Baumlaeufer4_small.JPG
    711.7 KB · Views: 166
Hello everybody
I am still struggling with treecreeper identification. Today the bird visited the feeder. I think it is a short-toed treecreeper, but I am not sure, because the white wing bar does not look like shown in my books. The eye-stripe is not as well pronounced as should be for Eurasian Treecreeper, which I posted a while ago. The upper mandible is dark, which should point to Short-Toed according to one of my books.
Please help to improve my identification skills!
Thank you very much in advance!
Ortolan10

Certhia familiaris

It's "The Notch" which has my vote...

Thank you very much! I feel I now understood how to distinguish eurasian from short-toed treecreeper. I understood how the notch should look like. I wish I would have seen more short-toed treecreepers. So far I have only had close encounters of Eurasian treecreepers.
Thank you
ortolan10

Thank you very much! I feel I now understood how to distinguish eurasian from short-toed treecreeper. I understood how the notch should look like. I wish I would have seen more short-toed treecreepers. So far I have only had close encounters of Eurasian treecreepers.
Thank you
ortolan10

Wait until early Spring. The "Shorties" will give themselves up on call! B :)

I'm seeing both at the moment in OWL/Kreis Paderborn. The leaves are gone. The best time to spot either for me.;)

It can be a revelation to hear an outstanding music-file coming from a bird you thought was just the usual Treecreeper, you grew up with! :-O:cat:

It can be a revelation to hear an outstanding music-file coming from a bird you thought was just the usual Treecreeper, you grew up with! :-O:cat:

It would be a revelation to hear any birdsong in the field. My hearing is poor, I tend to rely on movement as a primary means of detection. Most birds I don't hear at all.

It would be a revelation to hear any birdsong in the field. My hearing is poor, I tend to rely on movement as a primary means of detection. Most birds I don't hear at all.

I wasn't to know that Andy. And I'm sorry that this facility is not available to you. But you have your eyes. And that I celebrate. Sometimes we all take things we have for granted. But, there's enough here to ID it on visual clues. Long may you see more birds, rather than hear them! :t:

Thanks Phil, we live with what we have and enjoy things in other ways. BTW it wasn't a sleight, just an observation... and a wee bit of jealousy;)

Thanks Phil, we live with what we have and enjoy things in other ways. BTW it wasn't a sleight, just an observation... and a wee bit of jealousy;)

No worries. It's good to be reminded that we can take things for granted sometimes, and think everyone can do the same! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back