• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September 2019 at Gramborough (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

30: 2 Blue Tits, Wheatear, Wren.
29: Lapland Bunting, ♂♀ Stonechats, Wheatear, Wren.
28: Wheatear.
27: Wheatear, Wren.
26: Lapland Bunting, Song Thrush (in/off, then ↑S; foa), ♂ Blackcap, Wren. (Snow Bunting in a’noon - highly-experienced observer.)
25: Lapland Bunting, Wren. (2 Swifts, Walsey Hills.)
24: 3 Lapland Buntings, Chiffchaff, Wren.
23: GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER (4th in over 20 years), Lapland Bunting, Dunnock (first for months), ♂♀ Stonechats, Wheatear, 2 Wrens.
22: 1 REDSTART (♀-type; foa), Lapland Bunting, Blue Tit, 3 Wheatears, 2 Wrens (1 new and with complete tail).
21: Lapland Bunting, ♀ Blackcap (other, highly-experienced observer), Wheatear, Wren.
20: 6 Blue Tits (maximum count ever), 1+ Lapland Bunting/s, Grey Wagtail ↑S, Whitethroat, Wheatear, 2♂♂1♀ Stonechats, Wren.
19: Blue Tit, Wheatear, ♂ Stonechat, Wren.
18: Wren.
17: Very flighty and elusive BLACK REDSTART (♀-type; foa), 4 Buzzards ↑W, ♂♀ Stonechats.
16: 2 LAPLAND BUNTINGS (foa), in evening, ♂♀ Stonechats, 2 Wheatears, Wren.
15: Wheatear, Wren.
14: Whinchat, 2♂♂1♀ Stonechats, 2 Wheatears, Wren. (2 Blue Tits - another observer.)
13: 2♂♂1♀ Stonechats, Willow Warbler, 3 Wheatears.
12: Willow Warbler, 3 Wheatears. (Whinchat on RBA.)
11: 3 Wheatears.
10: Garden Warbler, Whinchat, 2 Wheatears, Wren.
9: Lesser Whitethroat (probable - in probable sub-song), Kingfisher, 1-3 Phylloscs (inc. 1+ Chiffchaff) Wheatear, Wren. *****Prob. CITRINE WAGTAIL***** called 3x and then ↑W from Pied Wag roost at N end of Beach Rd, late evening. (Would have been 1st site record, despite quite a few having been seen ‘either side’. Adult female seen well by exceptional observer 2 days later at Cley NWT.) PIED FLYCATCHER (in evening. Not present at dawn the following day.).
8: Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Wheatears, Wren.
7: Lesser Whitethroat (probable), Wheatear.
6: 2 Wheatears, Spotted Redshank ↑W, c150 Canada Geese in grazing meadow (largest flock ever seen here).
5: 3 Wheatears.
4: Wheatear, Whitethroat, Wren.
3: 2 Wheatears, Wren.
2: Wheatear, Wren.
1: Whinchat, Willow Warbler, 2 Wheatears, Wren.

Attachments

• DSC08471 50.jpg
    DSC08471 50.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC08646ed40 , with Elderberries.jpg
    DSC08646ed40 , with Elderberries.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC08749ed25 Willow Emerald.jpg
    DSC08749ed25 Willow Emerald.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC09102ed50 male Stonechat.jpg
    DSC09102ed50 male Stonechat.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC09176ed50 Whinchat.jpg
    DSC09176ed50 Whinchat.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
To add to last month’s unseen (or badly seen) birds, yet another. I sincerely hope this trend doesn’t persist. The probable Citrine Wagtail was yet one more highly unsatisfactory record: I did, however, at least see this one . . . fly away ! I’d spent much of the day in Norwich; rushed home, changed, drove to Salthouse, blundered through the Pied Wagtail roost and just about missed this bird. I’ve spoken to the finder/observer of the adult female seen at Cley (Arnold’s) two days later. It seemed to behave in exactly the same fashion: calling unusually loudly and moving off swiftly when it detected human presence.

Officially the start of autumn, September began with little excitement; this unfavourableness continued through most of the month. A high proportion of the ‘properly observed’ species have the capital ‘W’ as the first letter of their names. The Pied Flycatcher (9th) was the seventh of the season. 3 most-welcome Stonechats (all unringed) appeared on 13th, on the slightest hint of Easterlies. They reappeared sporadically. (Last winter’s pair disappeared in February.)

On 16th, Lapland Buntings (with a maximum of 4) began to taunt many would-be twitchers. Some ‘connected’ with ease, others failed dismerably. One of the best birders in the UK (a local) visited over a half-dozen times, before seeing any. I find it mystifying, not a little sad (and, in some cases, downright worrying), that some were sceptical about their presence - even when they’ve been seen and photographed by numerous birders. I suppose this separation from reality only mirrors what pertains in politics, these days.

The Redstart (22nd) was the first I’d seen here for over two years. (Another observer had one in the spring.)

Moth larvae again reared their ugly little heads. This time, they were those of the Buff-tip Moth. Their damage is said to not be permanent; with about one-quarter of the leaves of the largest Oak devoured. This is the second time this year it has been targetted by ‘chompers’. They had pupated well before the last third of the month, with less destruction than originally feared.

Several pairs of Willow Emeralds were in evidence, both in the main brambles and around the sallows/willows. I first observed this species at the Hill last year. People at the apex of Apid (strictly, Colletid) ID confirmed the presence of the rare, saltmarsh-dwelling Sea Aster Bee Colletes halophilus. For some reason, I seem to have deleted all my snaps of this rather lovely little beast.

After 21st, there was only a single Wasp Spider. She hung on (literally !) into October. Further details of this momentous arachnid phenomenon will be published in due course . . .

Attachments

• DSC09256ed50 Wheatear floating on a shingle sea.jpg
    DSC09256ed50 Wheatear floating on a shingle sea.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC09301ed25 all a-flutter.jpg
    DSC09301ed25 all a-flutter.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC09320ed25 Stonechat.jpg
    DSC09320ed25 Stonechat.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC09790 Lap65.jpg
    DSC09790 Lap65.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00281ed50 Painted Lady.jpg
    DSC00281ed50 Painted Lady.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back