• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pronunciation (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
I have always pronounced Nikon as Nick-On however I recently saw a YouTube video and throughout the presenter referred to Ni-Kon. This led me back to my rudimentary Japanese and is strictly phonetic pronunciation which would lead to Ni-Ko-N

So what are you?

Nick-On

Ni-Kon

Ni-Ko-N

So is the "i" sound like "I" or like the "i" part of "little"?

And I am Ni-Kon but the i sound depends on which country I am in.

Niels

I pronounce the "I" as a long vowel so it sounds like 'eye' .
I believe that's what Mono is thinking when he references "Ni-Kon"

Nick-on for me, just checked a few Nikon Japan videos and that is close to what they pronounce on their too, maybe a slightly longer emphasis on the “o” it seems in Japan, possibly Nick-ohn.

I would be prepared to change to the language of origin though if Ni-kon was used in the country of origin, a bit like Ikea - I now say Ick-eear to follow the Swedish pronunciation.

Nick-on for me, just checked a few Nikon Japan videos and that is close to what they pronounce on their too, maybe a slightly longer emphasis on the “o” it seems in Japan, possibly Nick-ohn.

I would be prepared to change to the language of origin though if Ni-kon was used in the country of origin, a bit like Ikea - I now say Ick-eear to follow the Swedish pronunciation.

I'll need to start switching to nick-on then. Had no idea I was using the incorrect pronunciation this whole time.

I kinda accept Ni-kon as an Americanism, first time I remembered hearing it was in Jurassic Park (2?).

An example is about 45 seconds in https://youtu.be/tbmfiRhpX0o

(It has annoyed me I typed their instead of there :-O)

Maybe I'll stick with Ni-kon then. People around these parts may look at me weird if I begin to talk about my new Nick-on binocular … even though we all have it wrong :-O

Nippon Kogaku!
Hmmm - in the current US climate, that sounds like it may be categorized as a terrorist organisation ! :eek!: ;)

Maybe I'll stick with Ni-kon then. People around these parts may look at me weird if I begin to talk about my new Nick-on binocular … even though we all have it wrong :-O

I think our American brothers and sisters should be careful not to put the wrong 'em-phass-is' on the wrong 'sy-llable' :-O or else the NSA might think they are discussing 'aloo-minumb' 'toobes' for 'noo-kly-arr' (or NOO-kyuh-luhr as one ex-Prez used to say ! 3:) ) weapons ! :eek!: :-O

Chosun :gh:

Ni-kon, long I

Long I for me as well Lisa!

Gurlz - how does the Murican 'long I' sound to the rest of us that speak proper English n Dat ? :-O

Is it 'Ny' ? (sounds like 'eye' the way Beth said) ...... as in the way it sounds when people say 'NIKE' ?? :cat:

No wonder I haven't been able to learn any other languages - I'm still struggling with English ! o:D

Last edited:
I have always pronounced Nikon as Nick-On however I recently saw a YouTube video and throughout the presenter referred to Ni-Kon. This led me back to my rudimentary Japanese and is strictly phonetic pronunciation which would lead to Ni-Ko-N

So what are you?

Nick-On

Ni-Kon

Ni-Ko-N

I kinda accept Ni-kon as an Americanism, first time I remembered hearing it was in Jurassic Park (2?).

An example is about 45 seconds in https://youtu.be/tbmfiRhpX0o

(It has annoyed me I typed their instead of there :-O)

I think the harsh 'I' , NI-Kon, or N'eye'-Kon pronunciation is a distinctly North American thing.

Here in Oz it is more Nic-on ..... (with the 'k' of Nick abbreviated for the purposes of reducing fly intake whilst speaking ! :)

I think Kits is getting close with Knee-con ..... perhaps more like Nee-Kon ....

and listening to the Japanese pronunciation in the video clip Essex Tern posted it sounds softer - like 'Nekhon'

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back