• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Best wishes

Wishing you well in your new job, Penny. Will be looking out for your informative and entertaining posts in the New Year.

Have a splendid Christmas.

Dave Kennedy

Hi all - I really enjoy reading this thread. You all obviously all enjoy your birding!:t: I'm coming up from Kent to Norfolk for the weekend ( staying in a travelodge on Sat at King's Lynn for only £19 for the room! ). From here I'm planning to head up to Salthouse on Sunday morning- can anyone recommend a 'greasy spoon' between the 2 sites for Sunday morning?

Cheers,

James

ps I'll post a round up of my trip next week.

http://www.freewebs.com/jameshunter2/index.htm

Thanks Barry;):t: Merry Christmas

Unusually for me, have several social do's on, which doesn't always allow one to get up very early to go birding! But hopefully will be out and about this Saturday. My last day next Wednesday in my current job (of 7 years), start a new one on 17th Dec, so its all a bit busy/stressful etc and what with christmas aswell...... Looking forward to the new year, especially new year's day when I will be dashing about ticking birds again!

Highlights for me this year, is just simply being in Norfolk.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Penny.
Hope all goes well with the new job, I would think you have sorted your hours to suit your birding.

Dont eat or drink to much over christmas & new year.

Barry.

At Horsey, the Desert Wheatear looked a lot healthier today, than last time I saw it, though was still gagging. Female Snow Bunting on the track near the pillbox as well. And three Cranes in a nearby field, viewable from the dunes by the Wheatear.

Visit my blog for more photos. You know you want to.... http://willsadlib.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• IMG_3127_blog1.jpg
    IMG_3127_blog1.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3059_blog1.jpg
    IMG_3059_blog1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Pictures in relation to my post No. 2643 My day at Horsey on Saturday 1st December. All taken with Nikon ED50 and Nikon Coolpix P5000.

Attachments

• Mummy-Seal.jpg
    Mummy-Seal.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Baby-Seal-1.jpg
    Baby-Seal-1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Baby-Seal-2.jpg
    Baby-Seal-2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Baby-Seal-3.jpg
    Baby-Seal-3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Desert Wheatear pictures in relation to my post No. 2643 My day at Horsey on Saturday 1st December. All taken with Nikon ED50 and Nikon Coolpix P5000.

Attachments

• Desert-Wheatear-2.jpg
    Desert-Wheatear-2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Desert-wheatear-3.jpg
    Desert-wheatear-3.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Desert-Wheatear-1.jpg
    Desert-Wheatear-1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 97
Can I join in!!

Great pics Will and Penny:t:

Here's a rather shoddy but mildly amusing pic I took a few weeks back on Sea Palling beach, did very politely suggest it wasn't such a grand idea to send a mutt into the sea for the benefit of taking cutie ''Seal swimming with family pooch'' pictures...can't talk sense to some people!!

Matt

Attachments

• waxham eccles 052 (Custom).jpg
    waxham eccles 052 (Custom).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 118
Can I join in!!

Great pics Will and Penny:t:

Here's a rather shoddy but mildly amusing pic I took a few weeks back on Sea Palling beach, did very politely suggest it wasn't such a grand idea to send a mutt into the sea for the benefit of taking cutie ''Seal swimming with family pooch'' pictures...can't talk sense to some people!!

Matt

Thank you Matt, Wills brilliant shots (do look at his website, some crisp, stunning shots) reminded me I forgot to put my pics on that I said I was going to do the following day last week!

Desert Wheatear, still at Horsey today according to Birdguides.

Great photos Penny. It's good to see someone else digiscoping with the little Nikon scope. Some time ago I started a thread entitled 'Digiscoping with a Nikon ED50'. Is there any chance you could put some of your shots on there with a few tips about technique and camera settings? There's not much information available about using the scope for digiscoping, apart from my own rather feeble efforts.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=90115

Thanks

Ron

Great photos Penny. It's good to see someone else digiscoping with the little Nikon scope. Some time ago I started a thread entitled 'Digiscoping with a Nikon ED50'. Is there any chance you could put some of your shots on there with a few tips about technique and camera settings? There's not much information available about using the scope for digiscoping, apart from my own rather feeble efforts.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=90115

Thanks

Ron

Thanks Ron

I really enjoy digiscoping, its huge fun. I will put some pics/info on your thread, but DO remind me again, a bit busy at moment, with social dos, christmas, new job etc.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures, Penny - now I know what a desert wheatear looks like!

Thank you,
Dave Kennedy

Hi Dave

Thank you.

Birding today in Norfolk: 1 blackbird outside my front door:-O:-O:-O - due to the fact I went out last night, have slept most of the day and I couldn't be bothered to go out in the pouring rain this afternoon and am out again this evening!!!

Hi Dave

Thank you.

Birding today in Norfolk: 1 blackbird outside my front door:-O:-O:-O - due to the fact I went out last night, have slept most of the day and I couldn't be bothered to go out in the pouring rain this afternoon and am out again this evening!!!

You probably made the right decision! A day at Holme in heavy rain and high winds :eek!: produced just 2 Snow Buntings on the beach, a drake Long-tailed Duck of Gore Point and Marsh Harrier, Barn Owl and Sparrowhawk over the marsh :eek!:

Norfolkbirder was around as well and I'm sure he wont mind me saying he had 65 Snow Buntings....

Have a good time tonight and thanks for sharing the great shots with us all :t:!

Very nice pics Will B :)...

Cheers,

Connor

Thank you Matt, Wills brilliant shots (do look at his website, some crisp, stunning shots) reminded me I forgot to put my pics on that I said I was going to do the following day last week!

Desert Wheatear, still at Horsey today according to Birdguides.

Ta Penny. V. nice shots yourself!

Will

You probably made the right decision! A day at Holme in heavy rain and high winds :eek!: produced just 2 Snow Buntings on the beach, a drake Long-tailed Duck of Gore Point and Marsh Harrier, Barn Owl and Sparrowhawk over the marsh :eek!:

Norfolkbirder was around as well and I'm sure he wont mind me saying he had 65 Snow Buntings....

Have a good time tonight and thanks for sharing the great shots with us all :t:!

Very nice pics Will B :)...

Cheers,

Connor

Thanks Connor:t:

Thank you Will.

What camera set up did you use, to photograph the seals if you don't mind me asking please?

Canon 20D with Sigma 500mm F4.5 APO EX- quite good for getting the close ups without disturbing the seals. I saw one photographer down there with a small lens who was virtually on top of a female and pup, unaware of an unhappy Bull behind him! He turned around and decided to leave them just in time.

Will

Ive just been looking at an interseting plover on the brackish marsh at Titchwell. It looked like a golden plover with a black face and a dark breast band. As far as i could tell it was a hybrid Goldie x Lapwing. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this bird or ever heard of hyridization of the two species? It was certainly something i have not seen before and really stood out from the crowd.

Cheers

Ben

This morning at Holme 10am in pouring rain and sunshine.

Pouring with rain, walked dune ridge to Gore Point and around the forestry and back along coastal foopath to toilet block.

From main beach at Holme, a very mobile flock of 46 snow buntings, flock of 18 linnets, 5 grey plover, 56 Brent Geese, 3 redshanks, 5 little egrets, 1 wren, 2 robins, flushed a carrion crow at gore point, 3 greenfinches, 3 reed buntings, 4 goldfinches, 19 blackbirds, 1 bar tailed godwit, 2 kestrels, 1 tufted duck, flock of 100 lapwing over Holme Church, 2 little grebes on broad water, 2 blue tits, 3 long tailed tits, 3 chaffinches, 1 fieldfare and 1 mistle thrush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back