• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song ID, Pennines, South Yorks (1 Viewer)

antpitta26

Argentina
Hi all, you can ignore the willow warbler, wren and chiffchaff etc, its the Sylvia warbler i am not sure about - sounds fast for blackcap but not continuous or scratchy enough for garden warbler. I always have trouble with these two every spring! - thanks!

Attachments

• sylvia warb.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
Blackcap for me too. Garden is lower pitched, slower, more rambling; and also rarely before the start of May (unless you go a lot further south!).

Thanks. Yes my first garden warbler wasn't til April 28th last year
Rule of thumb: flutey Blackcap, bubbling Garden Warbler.
The Garden Warbler is generally more low key and not as obvious and as strident as Blackcap.
I can generally hear a Blackcap from a good distance away, whereas I don't hear a Garden Warbler till I'm generally close to the bush or whatever they're perched on, singing.
Works for me.
Up north, Garden Warblers are later.
In Cumbria the median date for arrival is 22nd April for Garden Warbler, whereas Blackcaps have been around for a couple of weeks already.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back