• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron ES80 (1 Viewer)

Phil,

Not sure if you still have this scope, but..... which lens do you find that you use more - the zoom or the 32xww and why?

I currently have this scope with the zoom but find it drops of quickly above 30x and so rarely use it above this mag. So I am now considering getting the fixed lens as a replacement.

Cheers

Perry

Perry

As you can see ( I think I'm the second or third post on this thread, Ive now had my ES80GAED for nearly five years. It came with the HDF 32, but I moved the the HDF Zoom within a year. I find the zoom much better. Used most often at 20x but when required all the way to 60x for small waders the other side of a pit. For digiscoping I either use camera or scope zoom, not both, they have the same effect of softening the image.

HTH

I have the standard ES80 with a HDF zoom that i found here on the forum second hand. I have been delighted with it and my digiscoping results have come on by leaps and bounds!!. I totaly recomend it as a medium priced scope. My one problem is it got water in and fogged up. Removing the eye piece and standing it above a radiator for three days dried it out though. This happened when i was out in a total down pour for over two hours. Using it in small showers and drizzle dont seem to be a problem though and i transport it about slung over my back on a motorcycle day in day out. I intend to get a stay on case for the winter this year to add a little protection. All in all i would recomend it. A cracking scope for the money!!

Hi Niall, I have been using an Opticron ES80 for work for almost eight seasons. It is a good mid-priced scope.

The other point that should emphasised for someone like myself who has taken up wildlife watching as a profession, is the value of after sales service with repairs, which are invitable when in daily use. The Opticron staff could not be more helpful, and the repairs are reasonably priced.

It will never be as good as a Swarovski, Leica or a Nikon, but they do the job. Jonny

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back