• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed on ES 100 ED (1 Viewer)

My telescope and tripod arrived last night. I've had some problems attaching the es80 body to the quick release plate that comes with the 701RC2 head though. I've had to remove the smaller pin, as it doesn't quite fit when screwed in. Odd, it looks like it should fit but the pin is *just* too large to nuzzle into hole in the body. How have others got their body attached to the quick release plate -- am I missing something obvious?

Can't wait to get out in the field. Too dark in the evenings to try it out after getting home from work :S

Hi, I have a similar set up and discarded the small locking pin, everything has been okay but you may sometimes have to release the plate and tighten the bigger screw. A good scope, I've had mine for a while now and it's never let me down, come to think of it nothing from Opticron has ever let me down, good gear at a great price.

Hope you enjoy your scope m8 I think you made the right choice as I had the 100mm Optolyth scope and boy was it heavy!!

Regards Barry.

If you can't wait to use your scope and you look outside and can see the moon just above it and slightly to the left is Saturn your scope should be able to see the rings jutting out each side

Barry.

My telescope and tripod arrived last night. I've had some problems attaching the es80 body to the quick release plate that comes with the 701RC2 head though. I've had to remove the smaller pin, as it doesn't quite fit when screwed in. Odd, it looks like it should fit but the pin is *just* too large to nuzzle into hole in the body. How have others got their body attached to the quick release plate -- am I missing something obvious?

Can't wait to get out in the field. Too dark in the evenings to try it out after getting home from work :S

I had the same problem. I just drilled the hole out a touch and now it fits fine. That said, I found that I still have to tighten the quick release plate from time to time anyway! Now I just tighten it each time I go out and it is fine for a full day in the field.

I have the opotolyth TBS 100 in my collection of scopes and I use it the most even though the others are from the big boys and get more respect in the hide (!) I really do not find the weight is an issue. I don't know why I like it but I do, its kind of cool in an old skool way. It is fine on a manfrotto 055/128 combo no worries. Id go bigger for sure, I am jealous of the DSLR guys with the huge Canon primes etc. 120mm anyone?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back